1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2008 sj.com college football poll -- (1/9) Final Poll, Page 118

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Aug 18, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: 2008 SportsJournalists.com college football poll -- WEEK 2 (9/8), Page 28

CLICK....

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

bowden had a great quote in lopresti's column today about the 2-0 start leading to the wake game.

3. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

So, Slappy, you might want to ignore the first message i sent you. Had a friend send in a poll (I had no power or internet) and got all scared because the only poll i saw in my outbox was my poll from last week. Since I'm dumb, I thought that was what he had sent you and totally freaked out. Or something.

But anyway. I guess the moral of the story, as always, is, I'm a dumbass.

4. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Sorry it got sent in late. Had it ready to go last night but my complex as well as nearly the town was without internet because Comcast is a piece of horse shit.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

slappy, you should have received mine 24 hours ago.

6. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Suck. Up.

You're kidding, right?

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: 2008 SportsJournalists.com college football poll -- WEEK 3 (9-15), Page 37

9/15/2008

Spreading the love around the nation

By SLAPPY 4428
    Poll Ution

It has come to our attention here in the benevolent dictatorship of Slappyland that some fans of some conferences feel they’ve been singled out unfairly for waving their pom-pons a little too much and painting their faces a little too brightly.

While that’s all poppycock and hogwash because the SEC fanbois would have to read to know this, we here at Poll Central want to calm your nerves and soothe your fears. Think of us as one big ol’ steamin mug of STFU Chamomile tea with a bit of milk.

So today, in the spirit of good will and understanding, we’re going to pee in everyone’s pool spread the love and good cheer that usually goes with some conferences. We’re going to say something nice about every conference represented in today’s poll. Of course, what with this being the Feast of St. Hildegard of Bingen and all, we’re going to mention a couple of warts.

This is not to be confused with pimples, which can be found mostly on the sidelines at the University of Washington.

So enjoy. Or else St. Hildegard will get you.

SEC
    HIGH FIVE: Vandy’s off to its second 3-0 start in four seasons and for the third time in the last four seasons it will have at least three wins in its first four games.
    LOW FIVE: Kentucky almost lost to a Division 1-AA team on Saturday on the last play of the game, yet received votes in this week’s poll.
    WTF: The only points scored by Mississippi State on Saturday night came on safety from a holding call in the end zone. The player who was whistled down played for three public high schools in four seasons in Alabama, never moved and never missed a game. Amazing what you can do when you tweak the system.

PAC-10
    HIGH FIVE: Who’s the fairest in the land? USC, which can take a week off from its hard-earned win over Ohio State. The Trojans had bye weeks before and after Ohio State and will have another the week before Notre Dame.
    LOW FIVE: The conference went 0-4 against the Mountain West on the weekend.
    WTF: Rumor is that if this year’s Apple Cup is between winless Washington and winless Washington State, they’ll really use a Specimen Cup to reflect the quality of both teams while retaining that fine amber hue.

BIG 12
    HIGH FIVE: Chase Daniel might just be this year’s real deal, thanks to a 405-yard performance against Nevada and Florida’s absence from TV, sheltering the world from Tim Tebow.
    LOW FIVE: Every team in the Big 12 has at least two wins, except for Texas A&M – which rebounded nicely from the loss to Arkansas State with a thrilling 28-22 win over New Mexico.
    WTF: Iowa State outgained Iowa by a 3-2 margin and lost 17-5? With wins over Kent State and South Dakota State, poor Gene Chizik better start looking.

BIG TEN
    HIGH FIVE: Wisconsin, which went on the road and battled one of the best underdogs in the nation and WAC officials to pull its biggest non-conference road win in years.
    LOW FIVE: Michigan and Ohio State. Both looked like crap on national TV, but one’s going bowling, the other is going to have the nation’s longest bowl appearance streak at 33 seasons (and should have been 37 had the conference not had a one-team appearance rule until the 1970s) end not with a bang, but a blowhard.
    WTF: Minnesota’s winning streak over Division 1-AA opponents is now at one.

BIG EAST
    HIGH FIVE:
    Great stones by USF kicker Maikon Bonani in the last minute of a win over Kansas, but don’t ignore UConn which spanked Virginia, 45-10.
    LOW FIVE: Rutgers, a media darling over the last few seasons, has been outscored 68-19 in two games.
    WTF: How bad is Syracuse? It gave up 478 yards to Akron in week 2. At home.

ACC
    HIGH FIVE: Duke! Freakin’ DUKE is 2-1. Duke hasn’t been 2-1 since 2003 and hasn’t been 2-1 to start the season and wind up in a bowl since 1994.
    LOW FIVE: Miami coach Randy Shannon accused Urban Meyer of running up the score after a late field goal to push the lead t0 26-3. As a player, linebacker Shannon played on a team that beat Florida 31-4.
    WTF: Next up for hapless North Carolina State, whose lone win came against William & Mary? East Carolina, which lost to the Woofpack, 37-20 last season.

C-USA
    HIGH FIVE: Everyone loves East Carolina, but Tulsa is undefeated as well and has scored 101 points in two games.
    LOW FIVE: UAB. Might just be the worst team in Division I tho you’d never know it by the Tennessee game. Oh, and Memphis might be next.
    WTF: If you’re using UTEP as the benchmark, Buffalo is just as good as Texas. The Miners lost to the Longhorns 42-13 and Buffalo 42-17.

WAC
    HIGH FIVE: Yes, Boise State is back and undefeated. But for how long? Oregon looms on Saturday.
    LOW FIVE: Other than Boise, only one team has a record over .500 and that’s San Jose State, which crafted wins over UC-Davis and San Diego State.
    WTF: Utah State has games against four ranked teams this season and Boise could be a fifth.

MOUNTAIN WEST
    HIGH FIVE: While everyone spreads the love for BYU, Utah and even TCU, Air Force is also 3-0. Should the Falcons get past Utah this week, they don’t face BYU or TCU until the end of the season.
    LOW FIVE: If San Diego State doesn’t beat Idaho this week, they might not win a game. I mean, they lost to Cal Freaking Poly.
    WTF: Colorado State had to hit two field goals in the last minute to beat Sacramento State. If that isn’t a sign of how far the mighty have fallen, nothing is.

SportsJournalists.com COLLEGE FOOTBALL POLL
    9/15/2008
    RK. TEAM (1st) PTS Last

1. USC (46) 1270 1
    2. Oklahoma (2) 1184 3
    3. Georgia (2) 1123 2
    4. Florida 1111 4
    5. Missouri 1101 5
    6. LSU (1) 1048 7
    7. Texas 939 8
    8. Wisconsin 865 10
    9. Auburn 762 9
    10. Texas Tech 728 13
    11. East Carolina 701 14
    12. Alabama 646 15
    13. BYU 634 18
    14. Penn State 619 17
    15. South Florida 606 19
    16. Oregon 550 16
    17. Ohio State 538 6
    18. Wake Forest 397 20
    19. Kansas 361 11
    20. Utah 329 23
    21. Illinois 203 22
    22. West Virginia 192 23
    23. Clemson 139 NR
    24. Fresno State 118 21
    25. Arizona State 73 12
    Also receiving votes: Vanderbilt 61, Tennessee 50, TCU 43, Oklahoma State 38, Florida State 38, Virginia Tech 23, North Carolina 15, Boise State 13, California 12, Nebraska 8, Tulsa 6, Kentucky 6, Kansas State 6, Minnesota 5, UConn 4, Notre Dame 4, UCLA 3, Maryland 3.

The SportsJournalists.com college football poll committee: Slappy4428 (chairman), 2muchcoffeeman, 93devil, Agate Page, Amraeder, Angola, Appgrad05, Azom, Barsuk, Bubbler, Buckweaver, Budcrew08, BYH, Cadet, Della9250, Diabeetus, Dickens Cider, Dixiehack, Dparker85, Elliotte Friedman, GB-Hack, Hammer Pants, Hank Scorpio, Huggy, Hustle, Idaho, Inkywretch, Joe Schmoe, Joel Hammond, jps, KYsportswriter, Madhavok, Mustangj17, Mystery Meat, OJ1414, Orville Redenbacher, Oz, Perennially Overrated, Piotr Rasputin, Precious Roy, Rufino, Rumpleforeskin, Spnited, Sportschick, Stagger Lee, Starman, Sxysptswrtr, Tom Petty,Trooper Bari, Songbird, Zebracoy, Zeke12.
    Missing members in italics.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

No. Those last few spots were wide open.

Any undefeated team could have gone there IMO.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Only one new team this week? Interesting.

10. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Excellent job, slappy, though, I think you forgot to paste your MAC research into the opening. I'm sure it was just an oversight.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

MAC doesn't have a ranked team.

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

For the love of piss. Literally.[petty]

Draft saved Draft deleted