1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

1,000 miles, 13-plus hours

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by joe, Sep 6, 2008.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

F_H, didn't realize Evansville was that far away from Louisville.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Dallas to New Orleans is my most recent one. Took eight hours with a stop for gas in Nachitoches.

I've also driven to Indianapolis and to Cincinnati. On the way back, I took that Kentucky parkway that goes from I-65 to Paducah and saw maybe two cars in 200 miles.

Longest trip time-wise was Frankfurt, Germany to Manchester, England and back. That included a four-hour ferry ride and one dull-ass passage through Belgium, where the motorways are straight as an arrow for miles.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I found an LA political map and found the county line. From there (or what I thought was there) to Portland was about 950 miles.

I consider myself a decent ass-hauler, and the best I've averaged is about 72 on a 10-hour trip.

4. Sconnie

Sconnie Member

Big gulps huh? Well, see ya later.

Thanks for straightening me out...

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

wow, i just google mapped reseda, calif., (which is about where the sign is) to portland and it came up at 951 miles.

i've made multiple trips down that stretch. the longest being 15 and some change and the shortest being 11:45. i usually leave around midnight and have good luck with traffic once i get over the grapevine because of the time of day.

again, in the days before the heartbreakers, i only stopped for gas while mrs. petty slept. hell, maybe i hauled ass on that trip, but i do stand behind the time it took as i just asked mrs. petty if i remembered wrong. she agreed.

6. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Made a trip from SE Mass to Tampa, but four of us split the driving.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I tip my cap to you, Mr. 12-Hour Trip Ass Hauler.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I went from Lexington, KY, to Dallas...I think it was about 15 hours. Stopped only for gas and food.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

there is no reason to stop when there still are miles in your face, my friend.

mrs. petty attempted to change that approach once the heartbreakers were born, to no avail.

10. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Michigan to Texas.

Started 6 a.m.
    Ended 1 a.m.

Last time I smoked a joint.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

so, you mean this morning?

12. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Dude, I wish. I miss it sometimes.