1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your "Damn, I'm getting old" moment

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Tripp McNeely, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

buy one that starts with a key ... much easier.

2. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

I'm not one for swearing or drinking, which makes me quite an oddity in the newspaper world, I know.
    Friday night after a game, I'm talking with a reporter I know from another paper while waiting to talk to the winning football coach. During the conversation I drop a "Judas Priest" comment into a sentence where some of you with bit more colorful vocabulary would use another phrase.
    The other writer, a part-timer who graduated high school a couple years ago, looked at me and asked "'Judas Priest'? What's that?" I picked up the phrase back in college during the late '80s, though I knew Judas Priest was a heavy metal band. The other reporter had never heard of the band.

3. Sconnie

Sconnie Member

I felt old when I got arrested for hanging out with the cheerleaders at a high school football game.

But really, I felt old when my sister recently called me after her first day of middle school and told me a teacher remembered me from about 15 years ago...

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's a great question, but easy now.

My sister used to take me to Taco Bell when I was a lot younger, maybe 11 or 12, and it was a treat because she actually paid for my nachos bel grande meal even though I'm sure my mom paid her back. But it was cool, just the two of us, six years apart, getting along.

But when I started driving to summer school for driver's ed., my friends and I made a habit of stopping at Arby's to close the school day. Beef and cheddar after beef and cheddar -- and plenty of 5-for-$5s -- later, Arby's took the cake.

When I filled out those Internet surveys, my favorite fast food was always "Arby's." Never Taco Bell. I figured, "Well, I've got Chi-Chis for Mexican. Why not go for Arby's for my fast-food stop?" But then that whole botulism crap hit, and I haven't seen a Chi-Chis since my surprise 18th birthday party.

Now, it's Taco Bell all the way. I don't know where the Arby's are around my town, and I never tire of Taco Bell and don't think I will. I really dig the market fresh sandwiches and the cordon bleus and the beef and cheddars are amazing, and the fries curly are the best at any of the fast-food place, in my opinion, with McDonald's a close second.

But, in my heart, it's Taco Bell.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

They can do that?

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

whatever pops your taco, chief.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

So ... you?

8. When my 10 year old nephew said I was old. I'm only 27 damn it! Also, when just 10 years ago, gas was less than a dollar a gallon.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Outing alert: CC is really The Granny.

10. I am completely shocked!

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

NSFW http://lightswitchcommando.com/images/shocker.jpg

12. That's not shocking. I have seen things that are much more shocking.

Draft saved Draft deleted