1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

1,000 miles, 13-plus hours

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by joe, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Evansville's roughly 120 miles from my house, so adding another 240 miles in the dead of night was just what I wanted.

2. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Did Harrisburg, Pa., to Homestead, Fla., a few times in my 20s. Without an overnight stop.

I would not do this today. I am so far from doing this today, you can't see the possibility in the rear-view mirror.

4. Sconnie

Sconnie Member

I'm sorry...maybe I'm dense...from Portland (I'm assuming Oregon) to L.A. - how the fuck did you go through Illinois?

5. Sconnie

Sconnie Member

Oh, and my record is Springfield, Mass. to Chicago, Ill. It was right after the D-II men's hoops tournament and my team had just lost in heartbreaking fashion. There was four of us in the car, but I drove straight through because I was so sick to my stomach I just wanted to go home.

Google says it's 917 miles and 14 hours, 47 minutes. We left about 6 p.m. and pulled into a gas station right before Chicago about 6 a.m. (that's 13 hours with the time change) I did all the driving and we didn't stop except for gas. The other three in the car slept the entire way.

6. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

Dallas to Knoxville. 843 miles, 12 hours.

That's the trip where I learned to loathe driving east-west across Tennessee. Stupid long-ass state.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Umm. Two different posters there, bud.

Petty's the one who made the Portland-to-L.A. trip.
    Joe's the one who started the thread. He's comparing his speed on his trip to Petty's speed on that trip.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

ha - i went about 78 the whole way on mine and stopped for nothing but gas.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Before y'all start extolling your iron butts, you may wish to look into the phenomenon of deep vein thrombosis.

On long trips, I stop every two hours or so and stretch my legs. I figure it can't hurt and wherever I'm going isn't going to get impatient and move in the meantime.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you must get out every two hours so you can scratch your vagina. ;D

12. AreaMan

AreaMan Member

Drove from Milwaukee to San Diego on three different occasions and it took me about 31 hours.

Then again, I did cheat - i had a couple of buddies on two of the trips and my younger brother on the third. Either way, the smell of dudes in a car for that long was almost unbearable.

Draft saved Draft deleted