1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A (drunken) left winger's thought on the political division in this country

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Aug 28, 2008.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'm sure this is asking for trouble, but I'll give it a go ...

Inverted pyramid-style, here's the basic point: George Bush, John McCain and other Republicans are doing, and have been doing what they thought was best for our country.

I know. It's hard to look at the past seven years and say that Bush, in particular, has been looking out for our best interests. He lied us into a war we shouldn't be in and has tried to seize more power at every opportunity. However, for all of our freedoms he's trampled on and for all the times I've looked at posts on this site by people who would rather feel safe by the oversight of a corrupt government rather than enjoy freedoms that might cost lives, I honestly don't think he is trying to harm our country.

Nor, do I think, that John McCain - if elected - would do anything he believed would hurt our country or its citizens. I believe both have acted, and will continue to act, in good faith that what they are doing (or have done) is in our best interests.

I disagree with damn near everything Bush has ever done in office and I'm certain we are worse off for having elected him (TWICE! Really???), but I am also damn sure that he has never made any decision with malice for our country in his mind (though many decisions were made with his own - or his friends' - best interests at hear).

I believe him dimwitted. I believe him to be a fool, a liar and the worst of what our country is supposed to represent. But I don't think he's insincere when he says he is doing what he thinks will keep our country safe. Frankly, I've met too many people - and seen too many posts on this site - to believe that he is alone in his beliefs of the best ways to keep our country safe. Just because I don't agree with them doesn't make those beliefs invalid.

Bush represents a significant portion of our country - significant enough to elect him (TWICE! really??) - that shares similar philosophies. And, as much as I look at what they say - people on this site in particular - and shake my head and wonder how anyone can think that way, I'll never doubt for a second that they want what they feel is best - not just for the "general idea" of our country, but for all of us. I think they're wrong, but I don't doubt their passion and their heart.

I think that if we could all realize that we're all arguing and fighting for the same thing - albeit in different ways - we might find more common ground than we believe we have.

But I'm drunk, so what the hell do I know. Old Tony, Pallister, Red Smith and Ragu might just be Osama and his cohorts working some grass-roots shit for all I know. ;)

2. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Posts ... too ... long. Clever ... no ... read.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Whaddya want, I'm drunk! You gonna pay for my editor?! ;)

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Your post, and your inebriated revelation, represents what this country sorely, sorely needs. People who are willing to understand that the other side (better still would be the erosion of the concept of "the other side," but baby steps) is not inherently evil. Dubya is not trying to wreck the country, he's doing what he thinks is best. He might well be wholly or largely wrong, but he's not evil.

Everyone who registers to vote should first be required to watch this Chris Rock clip:

"Be a fuckin' person. Listen. Let it swirl around your head, then form your opinion. No normal, decent person is one thing."

I vote based on the person and the issue. It requires paying attention, but how could that not be worth the effort? Four years ago, I voted counter to the party whose views I tend to most identify with, in the governor's race, because I believed in the candidate. I voted for a candidate who won by 133 votes, the closest gubernatorial race in history. So it tells me that people like me make a difference.

Anyway, pern, good on you for taking the time to look beyond this partisan attitude that is fucking poisoning this country.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Bush is not evil. Incompetent, pathetic and quite possibly retarded, yes.

His "advisors" are another story entirely.

6. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Thank you for bringing your as-usual enlightened opinion. Now go to bed, the grownups are talking. And get me a Fresca.

7. Boognish

Boognish Member

As long as we, the people, separate ourselves into two halves and fight over shit like gay marrage and idealistic and religious stances, Washington can continue to operate on a purchase order basis where who has the most money gets the legislation they want.

Both parties swap backscratches with money contributors behind close doors, where the real law making happens, and they'll continue to as long as we, the people, continue accepting dwindling paychecks and bickering over who does or does not wear a fucking flag pin on their lapel, thank you Jesus.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And show your work.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Why do the grownups always sound like they're crying when they mention my name?

It's because they're happy, right?

PS: Blow it out your ass, Bedard!!!

10. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Now perhaps you won't answer, but since it's the same two fighting it out again, have you decided yet how you will vote?

FWIW, I agreed with the rest of your post regarding Bush, too...and Pern's as well, once I made it through the post (see below).

First and only time I agree(d) with Clever. No offense, pern.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

W remains an all-too-willing handmaiden for "business is right, first, last and always" thinking . . . especially when it comes to Big Oil.

While this is not "evil" thinking, in and of itself, its clear end result is the grinding/wearing down of the middle class in this country, and that's
    a very, very bad thing, any way you slice it.

Draft saved Draft deleted