1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BLOGS! In your clips?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by G-Spot, Aug 25, 2008.

1. G-Spot

G-Spot Member

This should go over well..

I just read a blog post from a scribe which gave an idea of what to expect as he heads into college football season. Should said scribe follow-through on his plans the blog figures to be one of the most comprehensive beat blog in the nation.

As we all move forward and the ability to blog becomes crucial to a beat writer's emplyoment prospects will you begin to include blog postings in your clips? i.e. You gave a running account of hiring/firing press conference or provided a breaking news piece loaded with relevant links that generated tens of thousands of page views.

Do you include blog posts in your clips? Will you? I'll hang up and listen.

2. captzulu

captzulu Member

I think if you have a beat blog, it definitely should be part of your portfolio. However, I don't know if you necessarily include individual posts from it. The quality of a beat blog is best judged by its whole: how timely your posts are; how well do you use the blog to communicate with, not just talk at, your audience; how do you use your blog to help you work your beat, not just as another place to put 15-inch stories; etc. Besides, just given the nature of what a beat blog's aim should be, most of the posts are more utilitarian and less award-winning stuff -- they serve a purpose but aren't necessarily flashy. So I don't think one or two posts are necessarily a good reflection of your blog. It might be better to write a little blurb describing a couple instances where you used the blog to effectively enhance your coverage of a story.

3. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Tens of thousands of page views? God, I wish.

To answer your question, I think BLOGS! are an increasingly important measure of how well we do our jobs. I've never included mine in any clips package, but I haven't sent out a clips package since I've had a BLOG!, either. I have a Web site with links to my clips, and it includes a link to my BLOG!, as well.

4. G-Spot

G-Spot Member

It happens.

5. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

I wouldn't include a random blog posting in my packet of clips just like I wouldn't include a column about my thoughts on the NBA, or something to that effect.

6. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I definitely would include the link, if it were available, or a sample of clips.

7. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

I would refer any possible future employer to refer to my blog at my current shop's Web site. It's already on the Web. No need to put it in your clips.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Really, a blog from a legit news source is no different from a column. Just no quotes. It would have to be really good though.

9. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

As someone who does the hiring ... i just threw up a little bit in my mouth when I thought about this.

Give me clips that show me you can write. I will then assume you can post said writing onto a Web site in a timely manner.

10. Boognish

Boognish Member

I think a blog entry would work, but only when packaged with other clips. Say a writer goes out and covers a big game on deadline and produces a main bar, sidebar and blog entry. If it's good stuff, the package could show how a writer can make the most out of a story and utilize different media on deadline to get it across to readers.

A random blog entry about whatever, and I agree with you. It's not something I'd be interested in. But when packaged correctly, it can be a different way to show strength. And in many cases these days, writers have to blog in addition to what they're already doing. At least I do.

11. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

That I have not thought about. You, sir, are hired.

Draft saved Draft deleted