1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Football Tab: Running Thread

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Football_Bat, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Ours is coming off the press right now.

2. Mooninite

Mooninite Member

Who here puts their tab up on the Web? Our shop does. I'd be interested to know how many others do it too.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

We did that last year, until the suits mercilessly hacked our prep tab down to nothing, leaving us with no space to run it again.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

And if it makes money for the paper, so the hell what. I'd think people would be stoked to do a 20-page tab on synchronized weedeating if it helped make payroll in this climate.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

We run it as a PDF (page by page, not all in one go).

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

You bring em down here to play St. Thomas Aquinas, and we'll have some fun.

7. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

We do, not as pdfs (although that idea crossed my mind), but as individual stories on a theme page for the tab. That was a little less arduous than actually designing the tab (I am the multimedia guy and the sports guy).

8. jps

jps Active Member

final story coming in in about 20 minutes. rest of it is proofed as far as copy. waiting for photog to get one last file shot and another to get a portrait-type shot done this afternoon. and that's it. finally.
    a few calls to the ad and the super and the coach finally decides that it is, indeed, in his best interest to cooperate and call me back.

so suck it, tom.

9. Taylee

Taylee Member

Ours is a 104-page tab; 87 teams. It came off the press yesterday and just a few minutes ago, I finally flipped through it.
    Proud of it but just didn't had the desire to look at it.

10. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

That is a neat idea. I know all the local schools, of course, but I can honestly say that I haven't been to this particular one -- a two-hour drive from here -- since I was in college.

In 1987.

11. jps

jps Active Member

anyone up for a swap this year? by no means am I volunteering for the head wrangler here -- just can't, honestly -- but would love to see what other places both big and small are doing.

12. dargan

dargan Active Member

Same here. Interested in seeing what others do as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted