1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baton Rouge? Greensboro?

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by bloggin, Aug 8, 2008.

1. bloggin

bloggin New Member

Are they planning to fill these openings jobs?

2. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I would guess Baton Rouge will (don't know about Greensboro). BR still has good circulation and market penetration and great staff size and news hole. Just know that this literally went down on Wednesday, so it's early for an ad to be popping up on here, though I suspect we'll see one much sooner than later.

3. John Newsom

John Newsom Member

I don't know if we're filling Jim Young's job in Greensboro. I'm no longer in Sports, so I don't have any direct knowledge of what's up. But I haven't seen a job posting, either. I'll post one here if it comes out.

My gut feeling is that we're not. As most of you know, we've got a For Sale sign out front *and* out back (not only is the paper for sale, so, too, is the back parking lot). I can't remember the last newsroom hire. Heck, I can't remember the last time I've seen a job posting around here.

4. If the SE at Baton Rouge does a real search for these jobs, with ads and all that, it'd be the upset of the year. But nobody at the paper even knows how the vacancies will be filled. Slide someone over from another beat and hire to fill in that vacancy? Hire two people and see where they best fit? No word. Hell, the SE hasn't even acknowledged to the staff that two people are leaving. Word is out, but not from the top. There's been no conversation about what will happen.

If an ad shows up on here, it would be a surprise and a good sign that BR is taking these openings more seriously than previous ones.

5. Jim Young

Jim Young New Member

John's pretty much on the mark about my soon to be old job in Greensboro. I know that the editors are going to ask the publisher for permission to replace me, but the timing - with the paper for sale - is far from ideal. Keep your fingers crossed.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Who owns these papers?

7. John Newsom

John Newsom Member

<a href="http://www.landmarkcomm.com/">Landmark Communications</a> owns the Greensboro paper as of right now. But check back tomorrow.

I think the Baton Rogue paper is privately owned.

8. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

The Manships own it. The company is Capital City Press, but it's the Manship family, basically.

Draft saved Draft deleted