1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB Trade Deadline Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Beaker, Jul 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Say this. You renters out there ought to study Ramirez. Man sure knows how to break a lease.

2. Boston traded a money-hungry, lazy, and unhappy outfielder to get rid of the cancer before it ruined the clubhouse. The Red Sox are not trying to pass off this deal as if Jason Bay is going to replace Manny Ramirez. Bay is going to play better defense in left field, he's going to work hard, and he's going to produce .280/30/100.

I think Theo made a mistake by not moving him about two months ago when things were already reaching a critical point and because the Pirates knew the Sox were desperate to unload Manny, that's why they got Moss and Hansen.

If anyone should be criticial, it should be the fans in LA. They have Kemp, Jones, and Ethier in the OF but nothing at SS. So why not offer something to Pittsburgh to get Jack Wilson included. Dodgers now have Andruw Jones and Manny Ramirez in the outfield, I'm placing money on Joe Torre losing his mind.

3. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

Was referring to the numbers. Thought that was obvious.

If the team felt it HAD to trade him, I think this is a great trade.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Smasher's joke

Overrated's head​

5. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I heard they wanted Kemp for Jack Wilson, which about the most absurd demand I've ever heard.

Sure, we'll give you a potential 25-40 guy for a shortstop you bat behind your pitcher.

6. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I got it...I was just making it clear to any other wise guys.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

And if you look at the way Manny had been acting out off the field lately (threatening basically to sit out both the Yankees and Angels series, among other things), then perhaps the team felt it HAD to trade him.

8. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Agreed. When I heard about this...I was perplexed. They gave up Manny (who wouldn't be himself if he wasn't acting this way.) for one person, unloaded another two on Pittsburgh and agreed to pay the rest of Manny's salary for this year? Where did Theo Epstein go to business school?

I basically blew a friggin' gasket this afternoon. I don't care how Manny was acting, you don't trade him for that kind of deal and give up a franchise player, pay him to go away and then don't get anything that matches in value in return.

9. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

They had to threaten him to get him to play on Saturday after sitting out Wed/Fri with a bullshit injury.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

No, that's not what I was saying.

What I was saying is Bay has never even dreamt of being in a playoff race, yet suddenly he is going to hit like Manny Ramirez in this playoff race?

11. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

Forgot they use completely different baseballs in the playoffs. I bet Bay is wishing he would have taken more BP against those playoff baseballs.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

If it had been just Kemp and none of the other prospects? Look at it from the Pirates' perspective. You think asking for Kemp in exchange for Bay and Wilson is that ridiculous?

I am amazed that anybody thinks the Dodgers have reason to be unhappy. Sure, they still have the problem at shortstop. But they got a great hitter and the cash to pay him the rest of the season in exchange for Andy LaRoche and Bryan Morris. You're going to complain about that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.