1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB Trade Deadline Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Beaker, Jul 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

What better trade was out there? And yes, it will be much different for Bay, he won't be hitting in front of Doug Mientkiewicz anymore.

They had to get rid of Manny. It's been obvious for a week now.

Manny's bat isn't what it was two years ago.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Look, there are a large number of Red Sox with no place to hide now. Varitek, Ellsbury, Beckett. Their failures are now their own, not Manny's. Nomar was traded in the final year of his contract because the Sox thought he couldn't field anymore, a valid assumption. They UPGRADED fielding with Cabrera. IF THEY'RE LUCKY, Bay's production will be a wash with Manny's. And this team was struggling to score runs with Ramirez on track for a .300-30-100 .930 OPS season.

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

That's the point. You're all acting like this is Manny in his prime, it's not. If they decided not to pick up the option for non-baseball reasons, then this is pretty good return on 2 months of indifferent play and 2 draft picks.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I've always said Joe Torre's career at this point is like a 1980s sitcom. He had the great run with a New York setting, the show was awesome, was among the best for a long time. But then it got stale, so the producers (the Yanks in this case) shifted him to the West Coast. He's got a few familiar faces around him (Mattingly), but it's now a fish out of water story. And the show/team is still decent, but nowhere near what it was in its heyday.
    And Lowe, Nomar and Manny? Those would be the wacky neighbors who tagged along from the old show. Consider Manny a special guest star.
    I can practically hear one of those cheesy audience cheers over the Dodger Stadium PA the first time Manny comes to bat.

5. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

I'm not calling this a World Series clinching trade. I'm simply saying that considering that they felt there was no way they could have Manny on the roster on Friday, this was a good deal.

Manny this year: .299-20-68 .398 OBP/.529 SLG
    Bay this year: .282-22-64 .375/.519

Not a huge difference.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I'm not saying there was a better trade out there, I just wish some people (not you) would temper their glee as though Jason Bay is going to replace Manny and everything will start rolling for the Sox and they are suddenly favorites to win the World Series.

As far as the Doug Mientkiewicz line, well, if he hits sixth he'll be hitting in front of Varitek. I'd personally rather have Dougie-consonants hitting behind me than Varitek.

7. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

I'd expect Bay to hit 3-4-5. Sixth would have him probably hitting before Lowrie, which isn't helpful.

8. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Because of him? I'm pretty sure if Manny was on the Pirates instead of Bay the Pirates would still suck.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Putting my spnited hat on for a moment ...

You can throw all the numbers out there that you want. I don't care. Down the stretch this season, in the postseason this fall, I'm going to take Ramirez 11 times out of 10 if I'm Boston.

If you think replacing Ramirez with Bay is "not a huge difference," in that lineup ... well, I'm going to laugh myself into the loony bin.

As Mike Gee said, the Sox WILL BE LUCKY if Bay's production is a wash with Ramirez's. My god, he's having the worst year of his life ... and four of those five numbers you posted are still better than Bay's, through July 30.

Stupid, stupid deal for the Sox, non-baseball reasons notwithstanding. Especially giving up as many prospects and as much cash as they did.

Not for Jason Bay. No fucking way.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

BTW, for those who have chimed in on how these real-life personnel changes affect your fantasy league teams?

Nobody gives a flying fuck about your fantasy league team, so keep it to yourself.

Thanks, and have a good day.

11. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I'll discuss what I like, thanks.

12. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

It just blew my mind that they had to give up two prospects, too. Not only did they give up the best player in the deal, 7 million dollars and them? What a terrible trade.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.