1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB Trade Deadline Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Beaker, Jul 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Oh, and as an aside, how about Torre now managing Lowe, Manny and Nomar?

That's got to be a bit strange.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I can't wait until the Yankees finish third, behind Boston and Tampa Bay. I really like you, Angola, but I'm kind of hoping for your tears.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The Dodgers got one of the great hitters in the game and Red Sox are paying the rest of his salary for the season. Plus you have to figure there will be a honeymoon period before he goes right back into Manny being Manny mode, right?

And what did it cost them? Andy LaRoche, who they have been reluctant to trust anyway, in part because he has had trouble staying healthy.

What is the downside? Too many outfielders?

4. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

That's sweet.

5. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

Not comparing the two trades as being the same, I was saying that at the time everyone thought it was a bad deal for the Red Sox and it turned out OK.

I don't see how the Sox got fucked on this. And it won't matter if they get no offense out of C-SS-CF for the rest of the year along with their bullpen issues. No trade was going to fix that.

6. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

Not this year and that's all that matters in this trade

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Which definitely could still happen given the Yankees starting pitching, but the Red Sox have a lot of holes they didn't address.

And as much as I like you Mikey, nothing would please me more to watch the Mets fold in September and the Yankees to take the final playoff spot the last weekend in Boston.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Screw you, asswipe.

:D

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Well, obviously we'll have to wait and see, I just don't think Jason Bay can replace Manny's production. It's not just numbers, Manny killed in the big moments and he also owned the Yankees. It's asking a lot of a 29-year-old from Pittsburgh to replace that.

10. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I agree with you, but what does him being a 29-year-old from Pittsburgh have to do with anything?

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Meaning each season he's played in the majors, the Pirates have been eliminated from playoff contention by April 15.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Well, a better trade could have fixed one or more of their problems. Instead, they hurt their team in the short term and possibly in the long run, too. They also gave up a bat capable of covering up the flaws in their lineup.

And Angola has a point. Bay is definitely heading into very unfamiliar territory.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.