1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any experience in PR?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ayeo, Jul 26, 2008.

1. ayeo

ayeo New Member

I know this is a 'sports journalism' forum, but I'm wondering if anyone is in sports public relations on here? Or at least are familiar with it?

If so, is it a good field to go into? Would you recommend going into it?

2. Well done, Buck. First lesson in Journalism 101: Don't ask questions that can be answered yes/no.

3. didntdoit19

didntdoit19 Member

Really?

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yes.

5. maybe...

6. Sharky22

Sharky22 Member

Wow. The cynicism is deep.

I am in the field. I went to school to be a sports writer but came out in sports PR. The hours can be just as bad, but the travel is better and usually the pay is as well. Working with student-athletes, in my case, is an absolute blast. I've always thought about what-if with writing because I do miss late night deadlines, but the job is more flexible, I get to see more cities and places and I do have my own office.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I've only been there twice but the fort in Old San Juan is a must see.

8. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

groan ;)

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

First rule of PR: Learn to bullshit. Second rule: Learn to spin like mad.

10. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

First rule of PR: The media is out to get you, so screw with them as best you can.

Second rule of PR: Just because you're paranoid about the media doesn't mean they're not out to get you or your client.

Third rule of PR -- which doubles as Life Rule No. 3 -- Overgeneralizations suck.

11. dargan

dargan Active Member

Tremendously well played, Boom.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Thanks Dargan - love your avatar - John Lee was one of the greats. Dusty Baker's favorite musician.

Draft saved Draft deleted