1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Newspapers should stop slumming as blogs and disallow comments.'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Cadet, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Yes, a BLOGGER! wrote this, but I think her arguments against website comments are brilliant.

Via Romenesko:

You'll rarely find an interesting discussion about a story on a newspaper website, says Sheila McClear. She believes papers should only allow comments on reporters' blogs. "Newspapers have more important things to do than worry about comments -- like, say, report the stories that blogs so desperately need in their 24-7 quest for content!

http://gawker.com/5027287/why-newspapers-shouldnt-allow-comments

2. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

While I totally agree, it will most likely never happen, it's a too great of way to inflate page views!

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Agreed. I hate them, though. If I want to argue with some insane idiot, I just go to SportsJournalists.com.

4. You must be an illegal alien! Love it or leave it, buttwad.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I do love it. That's why I'm here using your government perks, Gringo.

6. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I've heard far too many people say they go to the newspaper's Web site for the comments alone. People want to interact with the news.

7. Cadet

Cadet Guest

No, people don't want to interact with the news. They want to anonymously hurl insults and other bile at each other and newspapers give them an open forum to do so.

Want to interact with the news? Buy a freaking paper and turn the pages. Then write a letter to the editor, with your name at the bottom.

8. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Yeah, but where else can I slam Mexicans and other illegal aliens with impunity on completely unrelated stories?

FASCIST!

9. Beach_Bum

Beach_Bum Member

Reader comments on newspaper sites are the No. 1 indicator that this nation is doomed.

If we are that desperate for clicks, we should stop wasting time on news stories that appeal to the lowest-common denominator and instead put photo galleries of girls [cheerleaders] in shorts, bikinis, low-cut tops in tightly cropped and suggestive poses with fun games like "Fake ... or Real?"

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Why did you type that in blue. That's a hell of an idea /tribcoconsultant

11. jps

jps Active Member

I hate the comments ... our shop is launching a new site soon and the debate is raging - comments allowed or no? Many of the tech-type guys want it because, well, that's just how it is now and is part of the Net culture ... think the newsroom might be split, though hasn't been much discussion that I've heard. Fortunately, the man at the top is against it at this point, so hopefully he'll hold firm.

12. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

You mean kinda like this?

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/983402,hotfans060308.article

Draft saved Draft deleted