1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Stats LLC, Northbrook, Ill.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by playthrough, Jul 15, 2008.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Stats LLC, a joint venture of The Associated Press and News Corp., is searching for a sports writer. We are a leading provider of online and wireless sports content (including stories, photos, data, video, interactives and audio). Our customers include, among others, Yahoo!, ESPN and FOX Sports.

The ideal candidate will be thoroughly knowledgeable and passionately interested in all major U.S. sports with demonstrated experience as a writer and a solid background in journalism. Responsibilities primarily include: preview writing for all major professional leagues and Top 25 college football and basketball games; daily updating of individual player news and notes; customized seasonal editorial work.

Must be prepared to work nights and weekends out of Stats' new international headquarters located in Northbrook, Ill., just north of Chicago.

Please e-mail a cover letter, resume and writing samples to:

Brian Orefice
    Director, News & Editorial Operations
    Stats LLC
    borefice@stats.com

2. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I'd be interested in learning a pay range here.

Stats is an awesome service. Could be a great gig for the right person.

3. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

I'm thinking there will be a number of apps from places like Orlando, Tampa, Palm Beach, Chicago, Los Angeles... shit, this is depressing.

4. MrBSquared

MrBSquared Member

Know a guy who works there ... actually talked to him about a job there about a year ago. Place is growing/expanding. Would be a great job, in terms of growth/location.

5. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

This would be a very cool gig. Obviously very, very competitive, with or without the recent tidal wave of buyouts/layoffs.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Anyone have any more information on this?

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Just googled Northbrook since I had no idea where it was.

A little North of Chi-Town. Near places like Evanston and Arlington Heights. Probably an expensive place to live.

8. A little less than three years ago I applied and was contacted for an interview. After the phone interview I was asked if I could fly (at my own expense) to Chicago for an interview. I said I would not pay my way out there and their reason for not footing the bill was because they have qualified candidates in the area, too.

From what I remember, you don't really go to games for previews and gamers. You basically just write them from the office. The pay I recall was $40-45K.

Fortunately I'm in the position where I don't have to re-apply but I wish the best to those who do.

I hope this helped.

9. Tough to say exactly what they are looking for in a candidate. I thought I was a shoe-in with four years of covering minor league baseball and a year of covering the WNBA and a major men's college basketball program.

I applied twice for an open position and was brought in for an interview the second time. Be prepared to take a sports quiz with such questions as who won last year's Stanley Cup and name five WNBA players (Becky Hammons, Sue Bird, Candace Parker, Katie Douglas and Taj McWilliams-Franklin). After a couple of follow up emails, I never heard back from them.

10. Ah yes, I forgot to mention that and Prince reminded me ( when he mentioned, "After a couple follow up emails, I never heard back from them") ... They said if I'd be available for a phone interview and when they said they'd call they never did. Think they finally called a few days after they said they'd call. And when the interview was over they said they'd get back to me in an e-mail and I never heard back from them. Very unprofessional, I thought.

11. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Dude's e-mail is "borefice"?

That's unfortunate.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Sounds like ESPN to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted