1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Help on college sports revenues/expenses

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Cosmo, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I remember a couple of years ago that I found a web site that listed the revenues and expenses for every Division I school, public or private. They had to report to the NCAA regardless. I don't think the site was run by the NCAA. Maybe by a department of higher education? I can't remember. Does anyone else here even have a vague clue of what I'm talking about? If so, could you help direct me to said site? Thanks.

2. Beach_Bum

Beach_Bum Member

EADA. http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/

The numbers can be very misleading. They are good for getting total budget numbers and the breakdown of how money is spent, but the revenues are tricky. There is no uniform policy for how the schools report; for this, they can count subsidy as "revenue" if they choose to do so.

3. azmgb

azmgb New Member

This might be what you're looking for, although it appears to be from a couple years ago and doesn't actualy include EVERY team, only the ones they were able to get reports from.

http://www2.indystar.com/NCAA_financial_reports/

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yes ... that's it! Thanks Beach Bum.

5. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

There are a ton of schools where the revenues and expenses match to the dollar, which is a good sign one of the numbers isn't legit. Lots of good projects that can come from that database, though ...

6. Beach_Bum

Beach_Bum Member

Yes, when the dollars match exactly, it's a pretty good sign that discretionary funds were transferred to cover a deficit.

7. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Last school I covered was a perfect match to the penny.
    I once made a crack about their accountants being perfectly in-line w/ their spending. Guy I was talking to didn't realize I was joking.

8. accguy

accguy Member

The other thing to remember is that every school handles things differently. How are administrative salaries handled? What about academic support? Do they pay for their own heat/light/water or does that get paid by the central administration?

For big conferences, how are shared bowl/ncaa tournament revenues handled? Do they count under the individual sport? Or in a lump sum?

It's a great place to start, but you will have to ask a lot of questions after you look at them.

9. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

In some states, the legislature does an audit of PUBLIC schools and those numbers are usually available, often online.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Oh, definitely. I was just looking for ballpark numbers as a jumping off point. I cover a private school, so those numbers are hard to come by sometimes.

11. accguy

accguy Member

With a private school, you also should be able to get the school's 990 that is filed with the IRS online. You can go to guidestar.org.

I just pulled up, for fun, Duke's latest 990. It was filed in 2006. In it, non-profits have to report the salaries of its five highest paid employees.

In that year, a certain Coach K made 1.3 million in compensation, another 36K in benefits and 28k in expenses.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

A good rule of thumb to follow is that if it's a women's sport it's losing a shitload of money.

Draft saved Draft deleted