1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pearl Jam fans?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flash, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Yes, Abbruzzese is a helluva nice guy but essentially is a rock dope who probably was better suited for Poison or any other hair band you want to throw him in with. Did not fit in well at all with Eddie's pretension, which the rest of the band has always been mellow enough to withstand ... they know they need him and artistically, he's hard to argue with.

As an aside, I met Jeff Ament once while covering a Sonics game. Sat right next to me on the baseline pressbox. One of the only times I've ever been starstruck.

Also, why is there not more love here for "I Got Shit?" Great track, IMO.

2. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Anyone here aware that Eddie Vedder is doing a two-week run of solo shows in California in April? He'll start the tour in Vancouver, I believe April 2. He finishes it in San Diego on April 15.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Into The Wild stuff.

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Tickets went on sale less than an hour ago in San Diego -- Gone. He even added a second show for April 16. Gone.

5. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Download anything live you can.

Start with this site:

http://fuelfriends.blogspot.com/

There are great Pearl Jams boots all over the Internets.

And, what everyone else said, unless it was anti-Pearl Jam.

6. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Ooh, if we're doing top 5 songs:

Rearview mirror
    Porch
    Better Man
    Cordoroy (sp?)
    State of Love and Trust

7. Kar33mSkyhook

Kar33mSkyhook Member

My top favorite bootlegs are:
    Atlanta, '94- This is a must have for die-hard fans. Dave Abbruzese's drumming on W.M.A is insane!
    London Night2 '96- Release, Sometimes, Tremor Christ, I Got Shit, SOLAT, Present Tense, Smile, In My Tree [Jack :)]...etc...Incredible setlist!
    Red Rocks 2, Colorado '95- This has the modified version of Jeremy.
    Dallas '98- Infamous show with Dennis Rodman on stage. :p
    Boston(Mansfield) Night1 2000- Ed gives a shout out to John Havlicek during "Habit"
    Las Vegas 10/22/2000- 10th Year Anniversary of the band.
    Boston(Mansfield) 7/11/'03- 46 songs including the acoustic pre-set.
    The VIC, Chicago '07- Fan club show
    D.C. 06/22/'08- Looks like a good show, can't wait to hear the bootleg CD.
    Hartford '08- Great rockin' setlist, my personal favorite PJ show so far!

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Pearl Jam got me my double-CD from the show I went to less than a month ago. Two discs (for less than $20) came yesterday.

Immediately becomes my favorite live CD ever.

My top 5
    1. Better Man
    2. Rearviewmirror
    3. Alive
    4. Nothingman
    5. Garden

9. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

10. Giddy about the album news...giddy.

Also, missed Eddie solo last year, so I'm hitting up the Nashville show at Ryman Auditorium. What's the vibe like at these shows?

ACL and Outside Lands are out of my range, a little out of my budget and definitely in a time period where us lowly prep guys are busy (i.e. football Fridays). So, I'm hoping that the mini-tour that seems likely comes a touch closer to my home base, allowing me to see at least one full band show for a fourth straight summer.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

You know, I missed our Pearl Jam threads.

So, without further adieu, top five Pearl Jam Summer Drinking Songs:

1. Smile
    2. Throw Your Arms Around Me
    3. Given To Fly
    4. Driftin'
    5. Crazy Mary

12. Just to add a note to a thread started years ago - if you're a sports guy and want soulful Eddie Vedder, go for his Cubs love song, "All The Way." It's available around the internet, on their website I think. Great great tribute to his home team written at the request of Ernie Banks when Eddie went to fantasy camp with the Cubs.

Draft saved Draft deleted