1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's your contingency plan?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sportschick, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

You're not getting a raise from me. :D

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I think I'll move to England and become a DJ.

3. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

You misunderstood me. I like my NEWS in print.

But the last time I checked, this was not a news site, but rather an open place for discussing topics. And honestly, in my current line of work, I find a lack of intelligent people to discuss issues with. This site seems to fill that hole for me.

4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

1. Find a gig overseas.

2. Marry into a rich family.

3. Go into astrophysics.

In other words, hanging on for dear life.

5. lono

lono Active Member

With current topics here like "RIP Bozo," "Canadians Hate Cats" and "Megan Fox is SINGLE!" I weep for your current line of work, whatever it may be.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Easy on the Bozo. You're messing with my childhood there.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I never even knew that Bozo and Megan Fox were an item. I gotta keep up.

8. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

Already hired to teach English/Creative Writing and working on my Masters.
    I'm walking away and I'm not looking back.

9. Grey

Grey Member

Move to India to edit American copy.

10. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

There are times when I almost wish our company would lay me off and yet that prospect honestly scares me to death.
    I am probably going to be in this business until (if) that day happens. And while I am at the point now where I am almost too old to find a new line of work, I think a lay off would challenge me to see what I was capable of. So many ideas I'd love to try, business opportunities I'd love to pursue, and careers I'd love to explore.
    I keep telling myself I want to go back to school study this or that, yet never do because I'm so tied to this job, and scheduling becomes a pain (it's what I tell myself, not so much what is reality), I see jobs out there that I say that looks interesting and I am have the experience they need, but don't apply because I am comfortable now and the new city/career path/job is always nerve racking. And even on the ones I do apply I change my mind afterward for the same reasons.

Sure the prospect of losing a job isn't fun, and the job market right now overall isn't great, but sometimes I still think losing the job could end up being a great thing.

In the meantime, I'll continue to pray and be thankful every day that that doesn't happen.

11. agateguy

agateguy Member

I'd go back to school in a heartbeat to train for a new career field if it was one I liked, would be good at and make some good money.

If I was, say, still working on my bachelors in journalism, you'd have to show me the career track in journalism that leads to a steady, good income and job security to keep me from switching. Right now that's upper management and ESPN/Rivals.com reporter/columnist...and who knows how long those jobs will last?

12. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

As the careers in this business devolve into jobs -- if that -- then a lot of fields start to look better by comparison. Things I thought I never would want to do are starting to look like viable options, because the idea of a "career" in newspapers is pretty much dead -- you're clinging to a job and hoping not to get downgraded into lousier duty.

If I'm going to work a mere job, then I start to really judge it by the pay, the hours, the atmosphere, all those things. The panic in newsrooms and the disrespect raining from the glass offices are making it a no-brainer.

Draft saved Draft deleted