1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's Been Asked Before, But . . .

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Jun 27, 2008.

1. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

The home hurler summits the slab.

2. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Pitcher's mound.

3. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

Aside from the proverbial, "finish on her face" post, this was my favorite post I've read in a long time.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Sports Style Guide, my alternate-AP bible (thank you, Jennifer Swann, wherever you are), says "pitcher's mound."

5. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

That's a fantastic book. I got it for Christmas several years ago and used it thoroughly when I started out.

6. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

That's something I need to tell the couple of coaches around here who insist on recording "running back sacks," which the rest of the world refers to as "tackles for loss".

7. lollygagger

lollygagger Member

Long as you brought it up ...

Is it "tackles for loss" or "tackles for losses?" Seems to me the former is a bad mix of plural and singular, but I think I'm in the minority (i.e.: wrong) on this.

8. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I write "Bob Jones also had three tackles for losses."

9. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

I think it would be tackles for loss, like runs batted in. You're recounting the number of tackles he had for lost yardage.

10. Exactly. It's like brothers-in-law.

11. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

And courts-martial.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

It means apathy.

And dullness.

Draft saved Draft deleted