1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who here has been suspended?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Jun 25, 2008.

1. lono

lono Active Member

I knew a publisher who got benched for indecent exposure in the checkout line at a Midwestern department store. Eventually managed to plead the charge down to an innocuous misdemeanor. He wasn't fired then, but he left shortly thereafter.

There was another publisher, this one at a Southeastern weekly, who got suspended after the alt-weekly ran a story about him.

Seems he was buds with a musician in one of America's biggest rock bands and used his connections to get tickets to a show in the big Southeastern city.

Once he had the tickets, he promptly scalped them on eBay at a huge profit.

Oh well.

He survived, but just barely.

2. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i love it when people completely miss the point of good sarcasm

and i hate it when people in this biz have no understanding of the first amendment

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I got sent home for a couple of weeks with pay once.

I wouldn't call it a suspension, exactly, since they didn't. I hadn't done anything, other than react negatively, but in a very businesslike way, to a significant proposed change of assignment.

It was just "a chance for you to ponder your future in this organization."

And I decided I didn't need to be a member of that particular club if they would have me as a member.

4. jps

jps Active Member

Judges send people to Wal-Mart?

5. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

I thought this was sarcastic, but I gave an honest answer in case it wasn't.

6. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Was it this one?

Teddy Cullinane: [broadcasting on the radio] I've never seen Crash so angry. And frankly, sports fans, he used a word that's a no-no with umpires.

Millie: [Annie snaps off the radio] Crash must've called the guy a cocksucker.

Annie: Mmmmm. How romantic.

7. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

I am in now way condoning the guy's actions, but a year in prison for feeling someone else's ass? That's definitely harassment, but how did he land a year in prison? Was he reaching down the guy's pants and giving him an impromptu prostate exam?

8. joe

joe Active Member

A week for throwing the drink back at the dude and screaming at him? Fuck, you should have beat the shit out of him. At least the week would have been worth it. Fuck that cocksucker.

9. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

Ron Artest style.

10. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Back at my old shop, I ran afoul of the publisher and the general manager... who happened to be a father and son team. Said GM had risen from ad salesperson to general manager, despite a complete lack of any editorial or production experience (or, for that matter, curiosity). Like the one time when he was concerned I wouldn't have enough room to write about his young son's football team, he went to the production manager and insisted a page be added - long after the week's dummies had already been set up.

Anyway... it was basically a three strikes thing. I honestly can't remember what the first two strikes were; not performance related but me just pushing boundaries. The third one was using an AIM equivalent on an office computer - this was more than a decade ago, before those apps really gained popularity. I told them I had used it once, they told me to stop and I hadn't used it since. They agreed and I was really down to two strikes, but they sent me home anyway. After I left a few months later, I was told mention of my name was banned in that office with the publisher/GM present.

So at least I made an impression.

11. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Not a "print" or "online" suspension, but once upon a time I was a production assistant at a TV station. There was one director there who would constantly berate the PAs and swear at them while everyone was on headseats (or use curse words to describe a PA).

I can't remember the circumstance, but one day he said something again - I think it was before or after some tease we had to record for later - and I just stepped in front of the camera and flashed "the finger."

Next day I walked in and was told I was suspended for three days. The director? I think he might have been talked to. Fucker.

12. The Q Man

The Q Man Member

For the record, I was only 25 when I felt her up.

Draft saved Draft deleted