1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Theme park/roller coaster thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bob Cook, Jun 25, 2008.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Anyway here is my rollercoaster top 5:

1. Raptor- Cedar Point
    2. Millenium Force- Cedar Point
    3. Incredible Hulk - Islands of Adventure Orlando
    4. Mantis- Cedar Point
    5.Wicked Twister- Cedar Point

Never been on the Top Thrill, I guess that means it is time to head back out to Sandusky.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Could be it's been mostly the wooden ones in the past few years giving me the pains.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Agree on MF -- great, great coaster. A couple of years ago CP put some brakes on the Mean Streak course in the turns so you didn't feel like you were getting so beaten up, so it's a lot better ride now. Still, the worst wooden coaster was the Rattler in Fiesta Texas. It was designed to shake a lot (the Rattler, after all), and my wife and I rode in 1992, not long after that park opened. It's still the only coaster that made me feel sore all over my body for the rest of the day, and we rode it in the morning. I understand the Rattler rattles much less now.

mustangj: Raptor turned out to be my son's favorite as well, maybe tied with Mantis. Don't know if you did this, but you can get a DVD of yourself riding the Raptor, not just a pic.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The Bobs was wood.

As I say . . . glorious.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Toronto SportsJournalists.com types of a certain vintage will remember the legendary Flyer and Wild Mouse at the Ex. Accidents waiting to happen, those things.

Haven't ridden many coasters in the last 20 years or so (don't go to amusement parks unless I'm with eight-year-old Huggy Jr. who won't go on them), but I'll always have a soft spot for the Python at Busch Gardens in Tampa, Space Mountain and the Dragon Fire and Mighty Canadian Minebuster at Canada's Wonderland.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Riverview had a Wild Mouse, as well. Tracks extended over the Chicago River.
    Good times.

7. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I will throw in the Pittsburgh SJ recommendation of Kennywood. It's much cheaper than most places like those run by Six Flags and has some great coasters, especially the Thunderbolt, Racer and Phantom's Revenge. Phantom's Revenge's older brother, the Steel Phantom, was the fastest coaster in the world for a short time but the new version is better because it's smoother and doesn't leave you with headaches afterward.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I haven't been in a few years so I haven't done it, but one of my buddies did. He cried like a girl the whole way through. It was great.

9. the fop

the fop Member

Lost my Oakleys on the Raptor the year it opened. Still hold a grudge.

10. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

I went to Cedar Point ages ago. I loved it. It truly is Roller Coaster Heaven. It was kinda rainy that day so the crowd wasn't that bad. I must have ridden the Raptor 15 times. Couple of weeks ago, I saw video on their new Dragster coaster. That thing may be too much for me.

Just looking at the pictures online, I want to go again!!!!!!!!!

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The thing about TTD is that it all happens so fast, there's no time to be scared. Well, there is in the long line and the minutes your train is rumbling (courtesy of sound effects) at the start, waiting for the christmas tree lights to go to green.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I worked on a coaster at Six Flags one summer when I was in college. I think I ended up with two pairs of Oakleys (as well as several hundred dollars in change). I wonder if, the days I wore them, someone was out there wondering if those Oakleys were theirs?

Draft saved Draft deleted