1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2008 Running Baseball Thread, Part the Ninth

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chi City 81, Jun 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Reverse Curse of the Tomahawking Cow? :D

2. lollygagger

lollygagger Member

I think they've got the goods to get into the playoffs, but I think the dreaded "playoff experience" factor will get them before they can win two series.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Isn't that what they said about the Braves in 1991?

Oh, yeah ... it was.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

That playoff factor sure hurt in 2004 and 2005.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Bring back Chief Noc-A-Homa! :D

6. lollygagger

lollygagger Member

Fair point, pallister, I've seen it work both ways plenty of times.

And this is a little off subject, but for some reason when I read your Cubs-Rays line all I could think of was the scene from one of the "Back to the Future" sequels where the sports headlines were prjected on the side of a building and it read that the Cubs beat "Miami" to win the 2015 WS.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

Ya, I fully expect to see Doc Brown and Marty McFly in October.

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I think the thing the Rays do have going for them IF they make the playoffs, and goodness me that's a long way off yet, is they pitch and defend very well indeed.

In a short series, Kazmir, Shield and Garza isn't bad to be tossing out there. Add in a very good defensive infield and a speedy outfield, and you have a team that wins the 2-1, 3-2, 4-3 game.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'm not sure that Braves win should count. After all, the comeback came against Arthur Rhodes and Miguel Batista.

I mean, I know the Mariners are god-awful bad, but isn't there ANYONE they can send out there to close out a one-run game other than Batista? I think they could have pointed to the rafters at Safeco and found an SportsJournalists.commer better-qualified to take the mound than Batista.

10. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

No. 1 would be getting out of Chicago. That city's due for another great fire if the Cubs win one.

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Dammit, I was about to post about you and your curve.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Zip it, mop-up man. Pallister, Dreunc and Cadet were all scheduled to take the mound before you. :D :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.