1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So is McClatchy about to drop the hammer?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BigSleeper, Jun 14, 2008.

1. Just found out a friend of mine got laid off at the Star-Telegram. She's a photographer, and a damn good one, too.

This is beyond brutal. Prayers out to everyone affected.

2. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

"Cluster" production plan = "sweatshop."

3. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Only breezed through the thread, so sorry if this has already been posted, but the KC Star is expected to eliminate 120 positions. How much of the sports staff will this affect? Hopefully not many staffers, cause that's a great section.

http://www.kansascity.com/382/story/665726.html

4. seedyt

seedyt New Member

The Centre Daily Times (State College, Pa., and home of Penn State University) laid off three people -- none in the newsroom, but we weren't told which departments were affected.

But there are several unfilled positions in the newsroom. Sports is down 2 with the SE retiring in two weeks, the copy desk is down 2.5, the reporters are down 1.5 (at least). (Sports desk had 7, copy desk had 7.5, and city desk had 7.5)

With this "strategic" hollowing out and destruction of our papers, we were told we have to be innovative and do better. With what staffing? We're already stretched so thin that vacations are scheduling nightmares.

5. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Do more with less while working smarter AND harder AND (especially) longer.
    C'mon, it's not that difficult. Corporate does it all the time.

6. Rex Harrison

Rex Harrison Member

That's an easy fix. Vacations are the next thing to go.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

your old paper is run by a douchebag, though.

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Made me laugh! (Beats crying.)

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

The KC buzz on this thread was Howard Richman took/was forced to take a buyout, but I haven't heard any other names.

I agree about the section. KC's a pretty damn good paper overall, so I hope McClatchy's cuts don't have a dramatic effect on the quality.

10. agateguy

agateguy Member

Any word on cutbacks in Lexington?

11. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Damn that fuckn sucks! Howard's a great guy. He could give you the home phone number for a kid he covered 20 years ago.
    Great fuckn guy!

12. lollygagger

lollygagger Member

Draft saved Draft deleted