1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ice Road Truckers...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Norman Stansfield, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

...starts tonight on the History Channel.

I don't know if anyone else watched it last season, but it was pretty good.

Four of the old familiar faces are back, including the Polar Bear, Hugh Rowland.

This one has them hauling drilling equipment over the Arctic Ocean.

Just an FYI, for anyone interested.

2. lollygagger

lollygagger Member

I saw a promo for this show in the coming attractions at the multiplex a couple of weeks ago, and I was hooked right away. I never saw a minute of the first season, but I spent much of the day today getting caught up during the marathon that History ran leading up to the premiere.

I wasn't surprised that Drew washed out, but I didn't think it would happen in the first episode.

3. NX

NX Member

I liked Ice Road Truckers a lot, too. Great off-the-beaten-path idea for a reality series. I never knew those kind of trucking positions existed until last season. I could do without the Cops-style narration, though. Sometimes I have to fight to get past that. Too bad Mike Rowe couldn't do Ice Road Truckers, too.

I forgot it was on tonight. I was watching US v Argentina and only caught the last few minutes. Was it as good as last season?

4. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I got the sense that he might try to weasel his way back into a job, although it's probably a lost cause now.

He was such a leaker last season that I was surprised they had him on again. The lovable loser, I guess.

And NX, it was a good starter episode. I'm sure it'll be on again later tonight, and about 10 more times over the course of the week.

5. NX

NX Member

I'm sure you're right. I should have plenty of time to catch up before next week.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Agreed. Mike Rowe is a real solid television personality.

7. lollygagger

lollygagger Member

It was a good start. Of course, they had to spend much of the first show setting up the characters and the new location. I just read an article (http://www.nypost.com/seven/05282008/tv/off_the_road_112787.htm) that claims the diamond mine operators wouldn't let the show back in for a second season, hence the change of address.

It replays at 11 p.m. ET, by the way.

(Edited to add Post link.)

8. NX

NX Member

I'll be watching IRT in five minutes, then. Thanks for the heads-up, lollygagger.

Draft saved Draft deleted