1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All Purpose UFC/MMA/That Kind Of Thing Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mr7134, Dec 11, 2006.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Tonight's WEC show has been very good. The last fight was unreal.

2. hachat11

hachat11 Member

Faber and Pulver was an absolutely incredible match. Just a brilliant example of true MMA. Too bad this wasn't on national television. Faber is so impressive at 145 and Pulver showed a lot of guts that whole fight.
    The Torres 135 pound title fight was great as well. That second round was as good as I've seen in a while.
    Again, wish the masses could have watched this fight. Those that did had to have loved it.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Here's another thought, with the money that is starting to flow into MMA and the need to establish stars, how long before a fight gets fixed?

4. ATLienCP

ATLienCP Member

Who is to say it hasn't happened already? It might actually be harder now that there is more of a spotlight on the whole thing.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

You mean like letting a fighter go into the cage with an ear filled with blood and then the ref stopping the fight as soon as the heavily-promoted star who is losing the fight pops it open?

Nah, couldn't happen.

6. Mr7134

Mr7134 Member

It's really a shame the way that the middleweight title fight ended on Saturday. It was shaping up very nicely. It was a shame. Robbie Lawler is a good fighter who seems to have really hit his stride after a bad run a few years ago. I think he would have stopped Smith given a bit more time.

Such is life though...

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Not bad for what's supposedly the graveyard night for all of the networks. I don't know if I'd put this on in the regular season, but these are good numbers for CBS summer programming.

8. Mr7134

Mr7134 Member

Donald Trump is now involved with the Affliction promotion. That's the company that holds its debut event in a few months with a loaded show main evented by Fedor Emelianenko vs Tim Sylvia.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/josh_gross/06/05/trump.card/?eref=sircrc

The website for the event is....

http://www.afflictionclothing.com/banned/

9. Seabasket

Seabasket Active Member

Affliction won't last either. They're burning through cash like it's wildfire season. They're outlaying huge cash on contracts and the only proven pay-per-view draw they have is Arlovski (Sylvia was never a draw and casual fans have no idea who Fedor is). I think the most likely outcome of all these groups is an eventual merger, perhaps EliteXC and Affliction. There is not enough audience and not enough quality fighters to go around for this many groups. They all know it.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Isn't all this just PR to sell more overpriced (and fugly) tee shirts?

11. Seabasket

Seabasket Active Member

I was told that he hurt it in training just a few days before the fight and draining an ear takes several days to heal so there wasn't enough time.

12. Seabasket

Seabasket Active Member

If it is, it's the most overpriced commercial ever. Bodog had that attitude with their MMA promotion and they never made dime one and after less than a year Calvin Ayre realized he was basically throwing money in the garbage.

The Affliction card will set an all-time MMA record for fighter payout and it's their first event, so they are also going to have to do massive promotion on top of it. They are going to take a bath.

Draft saved Draft deleted