1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Being a sports reporter isn't all fun and games

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CrumbsOnMyShirt, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I know the guy is beloved, but that was a complete piece of shit.

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what the point of the column was. Readers have more important things to worry about than whether members of their local sports department are enjoying themselves.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Maybe he had to write it for his bosses as an employee appraisal to document how everyone spent their weekend and decided to recycle it for print.

In that case, kudos for going green!

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

"Guys, times are tough in this business. I can't go to the Kentucky Derby this year ... even though I drive to Louisville. So y'all aren't getting raises this year. But to make it up to you, check out today's column!"

5. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

What I took from it is that there is an awful lot of driving involved in covering sports in Arkansas, and that this is very arduous.
    I dunno. I don't live in Arkansas, or near Arkansas, but driving is the least of my concerns.

6. "16 hours of imprisonment in the press box"

i'm sure that went over real well

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

What a whiny little prick. I mean, he sounds like he's about twelve years old.

It's bad enough when my co-workers bitch and whine about their jobs but at least I don't have to read about it in the paper.

8. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I read this column and instantly it makes me picture this old fart sitting in the press box mumbling to himself that "back in his day, things were better. Damn internets. Went and ruined everything, I tells you!"

Shut up, grow a pair and stop whining like a teenage girl experiencing her first period you pussy.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Well, Trans-Pixley Airlines doesn't serve every high school town.

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The only point I can see in that column is the long-distance driving thing. That does suck. I won't weep for anybody who racks up Marriott points and airline miles.

11. I thought he was going to go into all the hard-boiled journalism his charges had done.

Instead, it was all about them driving a long way to events.

Ridiculous.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

For the record, they did have two guys place in the top 10 in APSEs this past year in 'explanatory' or whatever it's called.

Draft saved Draft deleted