1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sirius help

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chad Conant, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Chad Conant

Chad Conant Member

Exactly what do I need to get it in my car. Understand that I have an in-dash CD player right now that is nowhere near Satellite ready.

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

For a second, I thought this said "sinus help."

3. Chad Conant

Chad Conant Member

Thanks for the creative response, but this is actually a serious (please pardon the pun) question. I'd like to use it as the answer to "what do you want for Father'sDay?"

4. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I had mine installed at the Dodge dealership when I bought my new car.

It could be a bit of a hassle, especially if you have an older model.

5. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Nah, but it might not be cheap. Go to a car stereo place, tell them what you want (make sure they are a Sirius dealer), and prepare to write a check. You will have to decide which model reciever works best for you. It might be a portable one rather than an in dash model. But they will know what you need.

Best Buy can do it as well, I believe.

6. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I was going to suggest Best Buy. And yeah, you'll probably have to get a portable receiver, rather than one installed.

7. Chad Conant

Chad Conant Member

OK. But would a portabe receiver actually work through my car stereo, or how would that work?

I knoww I sound like an idiot, but I never thought about wanting one until recently.

8. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

The car stereo/Best Buy place can wire the receiver into your FM stereo inside the dashboard. That is how mine was mounted, along with a metal permanent mount and antenna wiring underneath the headboard to the roof. I turn the truck on = Sirius turns on/mutes the rest of the channels/crystal-clear sound.

rb

9. dargan

dargan Active Member

Rockbottom is on top of things. This is also how it was/is in my truck/car.

10. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Get XM. Much better. And it really won't matter soon when the companies merge.

11. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

Mine is portable. It plugs into my lighter thingy. I turn it to 88.7, put the antenae on the dash and I'm good to go.
    It's great when I travel as I just take it with me.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Most of the portable Sirius receivers have built-in FM transmitters; their range is surprising. And modern GM radios have a non-standard antenna connection.

And budcrew, you're crazy. Unless you want specific sports or college conferences, Sirius has XM beat hands down (I had XM in the past and have the current version via DirecTV). Sirius has a much better music mix and it turns out that former MTV VJ Mark Goodman's radio skills weren't rusty at all.

Draft saved Draft deleted