1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prep Writer, Pensacola (Fla.) News Journal

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Crimson21, May 16, 2008.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Well, South Alabama is about to start a football program, and if they recruit in football like they do in baseball and basketball, northwest Florida will be their prime territory.

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Since it's Gannett, I would guess two stories, six three-sentence briefs, 11 Web posts, three blog entries and conclusive proof that you filed at least five things from your car.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

are you kidding me? is the ASE position still open? is that why nobody is responding?

4. Petty, I can offer an answer to the ASE question, although it's going to take some explaining.

The ASE position was open from late 2006 until about May of 2007, at which point they made the decision to move the SE, George Moore, into a columnist role and hire a new SE instead.

The new SE started in July, got immediately screwed over by upper management, and left two months later to be the ASE at Florida Today, at which point Bill Vilona was promoted to SE.

Since that time (and none of this is an indictment on Blll at all -- he is the nicest guy you will ever meet in this business), George Moore also left, two more desk guys left, and Chuck Corder, the prep writer, just now left.

As I said, Bill is fantastic. But there are some other issues at the place, as that level of turnover undoubtedly shows.

Any more questions, they are probably best directed at DC. I'll be glad to offer what I know via PM should anyone care.

5. He didn't last long at Florida Today either.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

naw, it's all good.

and i've been around this business long enough to know that just because some people decide to leave, doesn't make a newspaper a bad place to work. but, i'm not giving this place a thumbs up or a thumbs down because i don't know shit about the shop.

sometimes lazy people do leave in droves, though, when they're asked to actually work. and sometimes people decide to leave cause douchebags are hired as managing editors. i guess folks are going to find their own answers on this one.

and thanks for the reply.

7. Miles O'Toole

Miles O'Toole Member

I can absolutely say that Chuck's departure isn't because of his laziness. Just wanted to make that clear.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

come on, dude. i freely admitted i didn't know shit about the situation.

9. jmb51879

jmb51879 Member

Let me say as someone very familiar with the shop that departures have happened for several reasons.
    Of the three staff members who have departed since November, only one is still in the business. He moved over to a weekly, providing him with the opportunity to be the executive editor, work a 9-5 and spend time with his newborn son.
    One left the business because he has started a family with the firm challenge of twins. Lord knows nights, weekends and trips to state championship tournaments don't mix with such a challenge.
    The other desk member left the business for a 9-5 and was recently married.
    All I will say is that while some might complain about the place, I've had far, far worst jobs and I don't dread going to work. The staff has fun and everyone actually cares about the job they do. That makes it a good shop in my eyes. PM me or DC with questions.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

what's the EE like?

11. jmb51879

jmb51879 Member

he has a background in sports, as does the publisher, so its a little more hands on than most papers, but hes open to suggestions and now trusts us to get the job done on a daily basis.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

so the EE and the publisher no longer fuck with you and your day-to-day shit?

yup, sounds like a little slice of paradise.

Draft saved Draft deleted