1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Northwestern seniors upset about commencement speaker

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, May 29, 2008.

1. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

My graduation speaker was the pastor of a big Baptist church down the street....Reagan spoke three or four years earlier, Bill Clinton spoke a year or two before I graduated.
    I remember about 10-15 years ago Fred Rogers was the commencement speaker at one of the big private colleges in Texas (can't remember if it was SMU, Baylor or Rice) and students were ticked off. One dipshit said Rush Limbaugh should have been the speaker.

2. didntdoit19

didntdoit19 Member

3. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

All I remember about my commencement is getting my diploma from the interim president, and seeing my family in the crowd. I could give a damn about who was speaking.

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Didn't have a HS commencement speaker, I don't believe. College speaker was Tim Russert

5. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I was. But, incredibly, I knew two people who were graduating that year and they were happy with the choice.

6. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

My old college gets Cal Ripken, Jr. Boy, am I peeved.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

My high school had the campus chaplain. Boring. I didn't even go to the big commencement so I have no idea who spoke. My j-school commencement had a local TV anchor. I just wanted to hurry it up so I could get back to partying.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

They should be anyway -- everytime he opens his mouth.

Remember, all complaints should be directed to fuckemdawg@booyah.com

9. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

I didn't go to my college commencement. I don't know who spoke.

10. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

My high school commencement was going to have Arthur Ashe, but he died.

Then we were going to have Jimmy V, but he died.

We got the chancellor of UNC-Wilmington, who only died figuratively at the podium.

11. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

We were supposed to have the new governor speak at our graduation (whoopity-doo!), but a winter storm prevented his morning flight ... so we got the new University president. Extra whoopity-doo! It didn't bother me too much. Previous classes had much better speakers, and our student paper's news editor heard the governor had strong-armed his way into the speaking gig.

Of course, I also didn't want to go to my damn graduation, but I have a hard time saying no to mama.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I graduated mid-year -- in December -- so I didn't go. But if speakers are shitty in may/june, see what you get in December...

Draft saved Draft deleted