1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McCain to Hagee: No, thanks

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Colonel Angus, May 22, 2008.

1. Colonel Angus

Colonel Angus Member

McCain rejects Hagee endorsement

(CNN) -- In the face of mounting controversy over headline-grabbing statements from the Rev. John Hagee, CNN has learned that presumptive Republican nominee John McCain decided Thursday to reject his endorsement.

Sen. John McCain speaks in February alongside the Rev. John Hagee, a Texas televangelist.

The Huffington Post had published a recording of Hagee saying that Adolf Hitler had been fulfilling God's will by hastening the desire of Jews to return to Israel in accordance with biblical prophecy.

"Obviously, I find these remarks and others deeply offensive and indefensible, and I repudiate them. I did not know of them before Rev. Hagee's endorsement, and I feel I must reject his endorsement as well," McCain said in a statement to CNN on Thursday.

Shortly after McCain's announcement Thursday afternoon, Hagee withdrew his endorsement, citing critics who had been "grossly misrepresenting" his positions.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/05/22/mccain.hagee/index.html?eref=googletoolbar

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Good for McCain!

3. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

This stuff wasn't exactly a secret. McCain should have known long before he actively sought his endorsement.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

He disavowed it. Wish he'd done it sooner, but oh well. The fact is, he dumped Hagee. Good enough for me.

5. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Fine. But is it still OK for the Republicans to talk about Rev. Wright?

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

That's an entirely different debate. But short answer? No.

7. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Certainly not a McCain supporter, but good for him. This guy is way out there.

8. Colonel Angus

Colonel Angus Member

I dunno. I think that ship has sailed, frankly, but I think McCain makes a cogent point farther on down in the story ...

"I have said I do not believe Sen. Obama shares Rev. Wright's extreme views. But let me also be clear, Rev. Hagee was not and is not my pastor or spiritual adviser, and I did not attend his church for 20 years."

9. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Why so quick to give John McCain credit?

He actively sought and happily accepted the endorsement of a man who espoused extreme beliefs long before this election cycle. Then, when old stuff was uncovered suddenly that makes McCain look bad to Jewish voters, he cuts the cord. Shouldn't McCain and his staff have done a little more research on this guy?

10. Timing is pretty convenient. You could definitely take the cynical point of view and say this is just politics. I remember McCain shaking Hagee's hand and welcoming his endorsement not too long ago.

First, he starts jettisoning members of his staff for lobbying, now he's cutting ties with Hagee. CYA or a guy doing the right thing?

11. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

It's a good point, spinning. Considering Hagee, I thought repubs in McCain's camp were being hypocritical when they criticized Wright.

Believe me, I'm not applauding McCain for anything else--just the fact that he publicly broke from him.

12. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

I heard an interview with Hagee on NPR the other day. Let me say off the bat that I'm a lapsed Catholic, but I do believe in God and that Jesus was His son.
    Hagee just sounded INSANE. This ranting and raving about biblical prophecies....to me, it sounded like the sort of stuff you would hear from some mentally ill person on the street or in a psych ward. The fact that people in power kowtowed to this guy and that he may have influenced foreign policy boggles my mind. John McCain strikes me as being a pretty straight shooting, sensible guy...he had to have thought this guy was crazy, correct?

Draft saved Draft deleted