1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Score another one for ESPN (at least, affiliated) and one less for newspapers ..

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rockbottom, May 20, 2008.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Re: Score another one for ESPN (at least, affiliated) and one less for newspaper

Pencil Dick, did your source mention any timeframe on when The Times will try to hire someone?

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Finebaum reported this afternoon that the Alabama site has snagged Anniston's Creg Stephenson. Seems like somebody's putting effort into snaring some decent talent.

3. Sweet. I've been fortunate enough to know Creg for a few years. He's good, good people.

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

A source tells me ESPN is essentially franchising these out. A group of investors got together to launch the Auburn and Bama sites and are probably going to start at least a couple more.

5. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I'll go one further. The numbers, I was told ... Marshall's current pay: $60K. Marshall's new pay: four years/$350K.

rb

6. Rockbottom

If this is indeed the case, that is a strong move -- and one that might cost them a wee bit less coin than the $$$ I quoted about Marshall.

rb

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

That would make sense, because nobody on earth is as tight with Nick Saban as Marshall is with Tommy Tuberville. Still, I wonder if this was the source of the rumblings about Cecil Hurt a few weeks back.

8. Rockbottom

From what I understand, said rumblings were Rivals.com. But there could have been *more* rumblings in regards to this latest start-up.

rb

9. trench

trench Member

Re: Score another one for ESPN (at least, affiliated) and one less for newspaper

Only a matter of time before someone at the ball was going to cut in on the dot com dance between Rivals and Scout. Will be interesting to see if they do things differently or follow the successful biz model they'll be competing with. From what I understand, these sites aren't really extensions of ESPN, they've merely got some kind of content-trading deal in place. Enough to use the logo and whatever credibility goes with it, I guess.

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I hoping, but not holding my breath, that these sites operate like real news sources and not a place for homers to bitch about the "mainstream media." Inside Lacrosse is an ESPN affiliate site that caters to a niche and does a good job. It would be cool if these sites do the same thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted