1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SE at Cherry Hill, NJ

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by FreddiePatek, May 20, 2008.

1. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

From the folks at jjobs:

Company: Courier-Post
    Position: Sports Editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: June 24, 2008
    Job ID: 927025

Description:
    The Courier-Post, South Jersey’s largest newspaper and information center, is seeking and experienced editor for our sports section. The sports editor is responsible for managing the Courier-Post Sports Department, which produces a daily sports section, Varsity scholastic sports section and a Sunday sports section, in addition to special sections throughout the year. This editor also creates and manages content for the sports sections on courierpostonline.com. Candidates will have a college degree with a background in journalism. Minimum 5 years previous experience as an editor required.

When you join the Courier-Post, you will be part of Gannett Co., Inc. - one of the largest media organizations in the world. We offer an excellent benefits package to include medical, dental, vision, life insurance and 401(k) upon completion of a 90-day introductory period. EOE, Women and minorities encouraged to apply.

Please submit resume and salary requirement to: Courier-Post, Human Resources, P.O. Box 5300, Cherry Hill, NJ 08034 or email to resumes@courierpostonline.com.

Anyone?

2. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Looks like they need one. :D

3. FreddiePatek

Aha! I thought that was the case. Reading between the lines and all. ::)

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

It's a decent paper, just across the river from Philadelphia. I'm pretty sure they cover the Philly pro teams.
    Their coverage of South Jersey high school sports is solid.
    In terms of colleges, there's no major colleges in NJ near it, just a JUCO and a D-3.
    There's an independent league team in Camden.
    Parts of Cherry Hill are nice, others not so nice. Can't comment on the county as a whole though. You're about an hour from Atlantic City, 2+ hour drive from NYC, 30-40 minutes from Mercer County (Trenton) where you can catch a 70-80 minute train ride into the city.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Er ...

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/56223/

6. FreddiePatek

Not much of a D_B here since there's nothing on that post and it fell of the page in a hurry. I think we can continue on here.

I would be curious just how much they do across the river. Not knowing the lay of the land all that well, what would this place do with Rutgers if it became a perennial FB power?

7. EStreetJoe

They staff the Philly pro teams in the four majors, but don't staff the Philly college teams (as far as I know, but I could be wrong).

With Rutgers -- can't say for certain, but I'm guessing they'd consider themselves too far south to staff and would use copy from another Gannett paper that staff Rutgers or just use wire copy.

8. floridasun

floridasun Member

Gannett + New Jersey = (your answer here)

9. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

You might want to stay out of the bathroom:

http://willdo.philadelphiaweekly.com/archives/2008/02/courierpost_emp.html

10. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

When being a short drive from Trenton is a major selling point, you know to stay away.

11. EStreetJoe

It's a lot closer to Murder City, USA - Camden - than it is Trenton.
    Plus, for the train station I should have used Hamilton instead of Trenton.

Why the knock on Trenton?
    It's Chambersburg section is widely known for good Italian food.
    DeLorenzo's Tomato Pies are the best around
    It's home of the Yankees AA farm team - get to see great talent on the way up and you never know when you'll catch a Yankee on a rehab assignment.

12. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

I lived in Mercer County for 26 years. I'll be quite content if I never even pass through again.

Draft saved Draft deleted