1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Score another one for ESPN (at least, affiliated) and one less for newspapers ..

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rockbottom, May 20, 2008.

1. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Phillip Marshall, Auburn beat writer/loyalist/apologist, is leaving Huntsville Times for a Tigers-specific Web site.

http://blog.al.com/trackingtigers/

rb

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Re: Score another one for ESPN (at least, affiliated) and one less for newspaper

This is the first I've heard of these school-specific ESPN sites. Are they going to do it for all the major conference schools?

3. sportsed

sportsed Member

Yep.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Well, rb, if his is "loyalist/apologist" the newspaer business is better off without him.

Now, about those 100s of other SEC homers ...

5. Written Off

Written Off New Member

Does anybody know more about ESPN's new web sites? Is the WWL looking for mostly beat reporters? Are we looking at several newspaper job openings on good beats (since newpapers are so quick to hire new writers these days)?

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Is this the same fellow who was thrown under the bus by the former Huntsville editor a few years back?

7. I've heard about this. I don't think it's exactly lucrative. In fact, I believe it's being set up live Rivals.com, where your pay depends on your subscriber base. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

8. G-Spot

G-Spot Member

And in noticing when the auburnundercover.com page loads you'll see this site...

http://crimsonconfidential.com/

Who are they going to pluck for that job?

9. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Waylon,

I was told last night by someone on the staff in Huntsville that Mr. Marshall will be making MUCH more than he was with The Times, which I believe is a Newhouse paper and pays relatively well. This person said he has a guaranteed 4-year contract that will take him up to near retirement age.

Sounds like a pretty sweet gig if the numbers that were told to me are true.

10. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Re: Score another one for ESPN (at least, affiliated) and one less for newspaper

Alabama beat writer Paul Gattis was the victim of former editor Melinda Gorham's bus driving, and she had help with directions on steering.

Congratulations to Mr. Marshall.

11. I've heard a variety of different ways these ESPN-affiliated Web sites are paying people for their work, from a subscription-based model to straight salary.

On my beat, a fan mag guy is running the ESPN-affiliated site, which just launched about six weeks ago and is off to a pretty darn good start. (I don't know how he's getting paid, though.)

12. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Does anyone know which other schools ESPN is coming up with for team-specific sites? If there's one in my area, I think I'm doomed.

Draft saved Draft deleted