1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yet another baseball scoring question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Hustle, May 19, 2008.

1. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

Absolutely wrong. Of course he's the same player. The only reason he's allowed to return to pitch is because he never left the game. Same would apply, if a similar switch ever happened in MLB.

2. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Logic.
    Johnny Hardthrower comes in to start, then goes to play shortstop. Johnny Hardthrower the starter is still eligible to earn the win. Reliver A gets hit a little, turns the game into a save situation, and now Johnny Hardthrower the reliever comes in and is eligible for the save. He is the same physical person, but as far as the scorebook goes, he is different.

3. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

Yes, but the rule is "He is not the winning pitcher." I don't see how this could be any more clear.

4. Rhody31

Because in this situation, he is the winning pitcher in name only. The starting pitcher earned the win and the reliever earned the save.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Logic?
    In other words, Rhody, you're making it up as you go along.

Show me some high school federation rule that supports your extremely faulty logic, and I'll concede the point. Minus that... you can not get a win and a save in the same game.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Uh, no. In the example Johnny Hardthrower starts the game as a pitcher, then goes to shortstop when Billy Podunk comes in to pitch in relief. Then Billy Podunk turns the game into a save situation and Johnny Hardthrower comes back in to pitch again and finishes the game.

Johnny Hardthrower gets the win and ONLY the win. He does not get the save. No one gets the save. Billy Podunk gets nothing and likes it.

7. KP

KP Active Member

AMEN!

8. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

No save, ever, for the winning pitcher. No too hard to understand.

9. chilidog75

chilidog75 Member

It's a dumb rule.
    Why on earth wouldn't this kid be eligible to get the save????
    Any other kid on his team comes in in that situation and it's a save.

Just because it's written that he can't be the winning pitcher and earn the save doesn't mean the rule makes any damn sense.

He performed well enough to get the win. Then he came on, and SAVED the game for his team. He was a relief pitcher. Or I guess he was just a starter that took two innings off before finishing off his win. Whatever. Dumb rule.

10. Rhody31

Because I hate losng arguments, I e-mailed STATS, INC.
    I got a response.

So yes, you can get a win and a save.

11. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

You know what chili, you can give him the save.

12. chilidog75

chilidog75 Member

Sweet.
    But does the other pitcher get a "hold?"
    That's the real question.

Draft saved Draft deleted