1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bob Pettit as a pro today.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Upper Tupper, May 14, 2008.

1. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Add.

2. slowcenter

slowcenter Member

I think conversation on this topic should be limited to those who actually saw Petit play.

That means anyone under, say, 55 need not opine.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

If those are the parameters ... yes, I'm over 55 and I saw Petit play

Bob Petit would be a great player in the NBA in any era because he had talent and he knew how to play.

He was a 6-9 forward who had a post game and an outisde shot, could pass and a was great position rebounder and he actually played defense.

He wasn't half as athletic as someone like Kevin Garnett, but if he played now, he'd make KG look like a fool.

Petit is probably among the 10 or 15 best all-around player in the history of the NBA.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

In other words, Larry Bird, 30 years before Larry Bird.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

He would have had to learn how to play with negros :

"I made headlines around the country because it seemed that I, as a Southerner, was unable to get along with a Negro teammate," Pettit wrote. "This hurt because I have never had anything but good relations with boys I played with or against."

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Unfair game, Kwame can't count to 21.

7. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

If watching someone play is the criteria, hey spnited, what was Ty Cobb like? was he as big a bastard as he's portrayed? :)

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

OK, 15 then. Pettit would still win.

9. Boom_70

10. slowcenter

slowcenter Member

Thank you for your opinion. That was the type of insight I was hoping for when I saw the post originally.

For you others, you'll notice I have not offered any opinion, due to the age-sensitive criteria I offered. I was barely born when Pettit played his last NBA game.

11. Boom_70

Look just between you and I spnitted in in the early stage of dementia-- You trust what he says.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Among Petit's teammates in his rookie season with the Milwaukee Hawks was Chuck Cooper, the first (by some definitions) African-American in the NBA. Among his teammates in his final NBA season were Lenny Wilkens, Zelmo Beaty, Bill Bridges and Paul Silas. I think Pettit had come to terms with the idea of playing with negros. ::) ::)

(Although personally, I would recommend to drop the phrase "boys" in this context. :-X )

Draft saved Draft deleted