1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Albums You Forgot Were That Darn Good

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Oct 22, 2007.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

damn.. can't find a copy of that Mojo Nixon song for posting here.

2. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Nice to see love for Mott.

Regarding Springsteen-Anne Murray...fuck! I used to think Clash-Blue Oyster Cult was the greatest mismatch ever.

Full House is great, but I'll take Bloodshot as my favorite album from the Geils Band. Anyone know if there are recordings of the Woova Groova on Boston radio?

And as for Mr. Reed, always thought "Street Hassle" was underrated. Great cameo by Springsteen on the title cut.

3. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

My Auld Irish,

I never got the love for The Blue Mask. Street Hassle is great. The idea that Sally can't get off the floor in Lou's disco moment was great. I sat behind Lou and Laurie A Off-Broadway last year -- do you know how hard it was not to say something pathetically fanboy.

I love that it's the "Rock and Roll" HoF (as opposed to n flanked by apostrophes). Like your third-grade teacher wrote it on the blackboard.

Mott should be in. Zevon. Gang of Four. Eno. Guess Who (Canadian content). Del Vikings. Frankie Lymon. ? and the Mysterians. Bobby Fuller.

Some say the R&RHoF is over-crowded. They should kick some out (Leonard Cohen?) to make room for the deserving.

YD&OHS, etc

4. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

As fond as I am of Cohen as a writer- of prose, poetry and song lyrics- it's true that his musical endeavors are uneven, to say the least, and not HoF-worthy.

The "Rock and Roll" Hall of Fame is too US-centric to appreciate the likes of Eno and Gang of Four. I presume The Jam isn't in there, either. As for Zevon, they have no excuse, other then Fail.

5. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr Auld Irish,

Leonard Cohen's body of work vs Little Feat. One is in and one isn't. Help me.

Saw The Jam ... tougher to make a big case for them but if Cohen is the standard they're first ballot. Shit, Blind Faith would be in.

YD&OHS, etc

6. CaliforniaRed

CaliforniaRed Member

Maybe somebody said this album but Soundgarden, Badmotorfinger might be the best of the grunge albums and is frequently overlooked for Nevermind (had more commericial success), Ten (had Eddie Vedder who was prettier than Cornell) and Superunknown, Soundgarden's follow up and move to a more commercial sound.

Superunknown is damn good but I'll take Badmotorfinger any day of the week.

7. EE94

EE94 Guest

August and Everything After, Counting Crows

So, Peter Gabriel

8. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Urge Overkill, Saturation

The Mighty Lemon Drops, World Without End

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Still have it on vinyl. Great record.

10. AreaMan

AreaMan Member

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet....

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Aja, Steely Dan.

12. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Don't know if it's been brought up, but the last time I went to see Breaking Benjamin, they were preforming with Three Days Grace and I really forgot how great Phobia/One-X were.

Two totally terrific albums that are even better live.

Draft saved Draft deleted