1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High school writer/Indianapolis Star

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by koolbreeze, Apr 17, 2008.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That's starting to sound like the norm for anything in the journalism world. My wife is an editor at a good regional magazine and they just had an opening for an entry-level editor. Salary isn't anything to write home about. Sure enough, she's been plowing through 200 resumes, many of which she said were very stout for an entry-level job.

2. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

I don't dispute your figure because you may very well be right. But it stuns me that a preps job anywhere in this era (supply > demand) would pay more than $35,000 right out of the blocks.

3. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

What's impressive is there seems to be a crowd of people out there with resumes and clips always at the ready. It's amazing that within a week or 10 days of posting an editor can receive an avalanche of applicants. Shite, it always took me a week just to think over the damn thing before I rushed out to spend 20 bucks to FedEx a package.

4. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

If you were spending $20 to send out clips, the guy at the FedEx store was lining his pockets with your money. ;D

5. jps

jps Active Member

e-mail is fast and free ... and I tend to prefer getting them that way.

6. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

You know why a mean!

7. turnovers

turnovers Member

.34 now! Just announced last week.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Whew! That really takes the sting out of the $3.50-a-gallon gas!

9. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

They are bringing people in or calling people for interviews now. All I know is I was not one of them.

10. Kroog City

Kroog City Member

Where did you hear that? I placed a follow up call to the editor earlier in the week and he said that he had over 200 applicants to go through...

11. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

They were down to finalists nearly two weeks ago.

12. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

What wonderlic said. I guess I was a semifinalist.

Draft saved Draft deleted