1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Selena Roberts back page debut for SI (new column on Pg. 2)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Jan 16, 2008.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Also mad about "The show" not being in there anymore.

Those were my two favorite features by far.

I guess it was just what put me over the edge. All the cheap duffel bags in the world cant get me back now.

2. Ira_Schoffel

Ira_Schoffel Member

Hate to pile on, but her last two offerings haven't been any better. This post-draft one was almost impossible to read.

One would think that as the back-page columnist for SI, you would have access to any kickass story you could dream up. But she finds a way to pick completely uninteresting topics.

Just don't get it.

3. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I just started my subscription again and two things have quickly become very clear --- her columns do nothing for me and I remember why I dumped SI in the first place.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I thought the post-Masters one was ok. Could have been really good, but it kind of got lost a little in some flowery writing.

The post-draft column had very little point, and was pretty meh. I can't understand why that was her topic.

I'm underwhelmed thus far. To put it nicely.

5. Underwhelmed is definitely a nice way to describe how I feel about her writing too. Frankly, a few of her columns left me wondering what the hell she was even writing about. I hope they aren't paying her a lot (but I know they are).

6. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Exactly! I've had a hard time getting into some of them because I get lost wondering what the hell she's trying to say.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It seems like she's pressing.It's like Arods first year with the Yankees. She is punching the keys too hard on her key board.

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Maybe some of the NY Times' readership loved that about her -- you know, the tweedy or urbane folks who really don't pay much attention to sports but go slumming in that section every so often -- but serving that up to people who care enough about sports to actively subscribe to a weekly mag doesn't make a lot of sense. Also, there was no way Roberts was going to get more rigorous editing, rather than less, by moving to SI. Not because of SI's copy editors but because of a likely hands-off approach.

9. Boom_70

Frank Ridgeway would tell you that you have discribed the majority demographic for the Times readership.

10. Speaking of SI, whatever happened to Daniel Habib, who was covering baseball for them a couple of years ago? Harvard grad, I believe, and a pretty good writer who was also pretty young - mid-20s at the latest. Haven't seen his byline in years. I figured he would be one of their up-and-coming stars.

And, no, I'm not him :)

11. Boom_70

He bought a 7/11 and left SI

12. He was a white dude.

Draft saved Draft deleted