1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The (Henderson, N.C.) Daily Dispatch, Sports Editor

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Tarheel316, Apr 23, 2008.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Shouldn't that be the rule anywhere? You shouldn't use a credential unless you are actually working.

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Having now 18 years in the business (not to mention a parolee from the Paxton Reich), I'm fully aware of all of that. But the people who are likely to take this job might not be, and I'd hate for them to be misled. Small papers take advantage of their people this way, and this is my PSA that says, applicant beware.

3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

novelist, I too escape Paxton so I understand what you're saying. I have 14 years experience in this business and 13 years as a public info person in state government before that. At my age I don't want to run around covering college games on my "off" days. The first six years of my career I was in newspapers and jumped at every chance I could to cover college games. When I came back to newspapers seven years ago, I did some college stuff. But last year I covered the Panthers twice and did two Bobcats games. My girlfriend did want some of my time. Trust me, they will get some hungry kid in his 20s who is eager to cover Carolina and Duke. And that kid will learn ...

4. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Hardly seems reasonable to call a six-day paper the "Daily" anything.

5. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

There's a few papers like this. I call it false advertising.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The Daily Show only airs five days a week.

Just sayin;.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

The ad does say "off-day perks" which doesn't even mean coverage, it may just mean "hey, you're close to ACC and minor-league baseball, so you can go to the games when you're not working".

If anyone takes a job like this with hopes that ACC coverage is going to be a large part of it, they don't understand the purpose of an 8,000-circulation daily paper. And they're being pretty straightforward with the job description -- running a two-person show with eight high schools as the thurst of the coverage. They're not going to pay you (editors: optional trim begins here) overtime to cover Duke or UNC.

And while I understand the appeal of covering the ACC, an N.C. State-Georgia Tech gamer isn't going to be what gets you your next job. If you think you can enhance coverage with a feature or two, that'd be one thing, but realistically, the SE of a sub-10,000 isn't going to outcover AP's Raleigh bureau.

8. When somebody says "Paxton," that pretty much says it all. Then they run the other way and duck for cover.

P.S. I'm also a Paxton parolee. Perhaps there needs to be a group made just for us.

9. Tarheel316

Meat, I think you are right on the money. Appgrad, anything five days and above is a daily. I am at six-day shop and it's quite all right that we don't have a Sunday paper.

10. Pi

Pi Member

Unless things have improved in the past decade, covering games at South Granville after sunset warrants hazardous duty pay.

11. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Because...why, exactly?

(Sorry to clutter the thread, but this seems to require a response.)

12. Tarheel316

Because I agree with what meat says. Re-read his post. As for what constitutes a daily, I guess that depends on your opinion.

Draft saved Draft deleted