1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jimmy Fallon to replace Conan

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ifilus, Apr 25, 2008.

1. clarkington

clarkington Member

I saw Jimmy Fallon do standup about 6 or 7 years ago in college. Some of the funniest stuff. Honestly. I think he'll be fine.

2. Does this mean he's going to stop doing horrible movies?

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Apocolypse. Now.

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I'm trying to think of a worse choice here, and I honestly can't. Guess the upside is more people will watch Ferguson now. He's great.

As to the the "Conan sucked at first, too" argument, it's not the same thing at all. Conan was a writer thrown into a whole new business. Fallon has been on camera and on stage for years.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Exactly. And when Conan was awful at first, there was a sort of endearing innocent self-awareness about it...like, OK, I may suck, and this may end up being one of the great embarrassments in TV history, but let's see what the hell happens.

Fallon is nothing more than a C-level knockoff of Adam Sandler, who, as tired as he's become, was really funny at his peak and a part of some of the best SNL skits ever. What's Fallon been a part of? As a Weekend Update anchor, he was meh...better than Kevin Nealon, but not by a whole lot. And the Barry Gibb skit is funny b/c of Justin Timberlake.

Fail.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Hiring Fallon is NBC doing its bit to help people get more sleep.

Is it wrong that when I finished with Stewart, I watched Super Profane Mario brothers?

It's making me laugh out loud. I am deeply ashamed, especially since I can't tell at this late hour if dude's accent is fake.

It's not funny because of him as much as the fact that level is impossible. Crazy.

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but aren't late night talk show hosts supposed to be amusing? And if that is the case, then why would NBC replace Conan with Idiot Boy Fallon?

8. Chef

Chef Active Member

No mention of Kilborn?

Still surprises me nobody has him on.

9. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Watching Pat Falloon (aka Fat Balloon) would likely be more entertaining on a nighlty basis than chuckling unfunny Boston boy.

10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Good god. I'm nauseous after reading this thread.

The only person who finds Jimmy Fallon funny (besides a few misguided souls on this thread) is.....Jimmy Fallon.

And maybe his mother. Maybe.

For those who want to watch, get ready for heaping platefuls of smug dorkiness covered in inane stupidity.

Yecch.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Piotr, I assumed that's the same thing someone else posted here that made me snort with laughter. Fantastically funny.

12. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Jimmy Fallon performed at my college while I was there. I had friends who worked with the organization that brought him to campus, and they said Fallon was kind of an 'I'm a celebrity so fuck you' ass.

For what that's worth.

Draft saved Draft deleted