1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do they have copy editors at ESPN?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bill Brasky, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

One's a national media figure, the other is a kid likely working at his first stop. There's a difference.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Don't hold your breath.

3. lono

lono Active Member

That's OK. The nut graf of this story is completely wrong:

"It is believed to be the first time since 1955 that NASCAR has disqualified a driver for a postrace violation. Fireball Roberts was the victim that day because of what was ruled an engine modification."

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/nascar/columns/story?columnist=newton_david&id=3363595

Well, the only one who believes it is the guy who wrote it, because it is 100 percent wrong, as pointed out here yesterday:

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/51414/

Think they bothered to correct it? Noooo .........

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I can't believe ESPN would allow that.
    And I still can't believe anyone would want that. Though I suppose there are egos out there so big they think they're perfect.
    Any organization that allows a no edit clause is stupid and deserves whatever shit comes its way. I don't believe any group with a shred of self respect allows them.

5. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

Bingo!
    I'm a fan of Simmons, but this omission and addendum just is beyond the pale. It's something that someone should have caught.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I'm pertty sure he lurks here, but if I were him, I probably would not Hill or Whitlock it either.

Seriously, what does he have to gain? Any commentary about improving his column can be just read by him without an actual post.

I will probably get killed for this on here, but here goes.

I actually emailed him once about two problems with a column. One was error about a game he actually attended as a child and a player he did not realize was playing in the game.

He wrote back, without acknowledging one error but pointing out that what he did state for the second error was in fact true in California.

He also noted that everyone gets killed on SportsJournalists.com, and to an extent, I agree with him.

What seriously would happen if he started a thread of "I'm Bill Simmons...?"

I'm thinking it would not be one of the finer moments on here.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I hate to break it to Prepboy, but not everyone gets killed here.

Whatever gets him through the night, but in saying that, he's full of it.

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I don't know what the original copy looks like, but what gets posted makes me think their copy editors are just OK. Nothing more, nothing less.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Ben, people do get killed here.

It might not happen on every thread, but when you see the padlock at the end of the thread, it usually has something to do with two people not respecting each other's opinion.

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I'm constantly surprised as the lack of nuance on a site with all these professionals.

News: Like us and every other website, ESPN.com certainly has some really good copy editors, some middle of the road people and, because I don't think it's fair to characterize it another way, some with less experience.

Just like, oh, pretty much every other place I've ever worked.

As for "html jockeys barely out of their teens," that was true of entire copy desks in about, oh, 1997. And some of them have gone on to be superstar editors in this business.

OK?

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Yes, they do . . . but not EVERYBODY, as Bill said.

Folks like (and forgive me for countless omissions, but it's been a long, tough day) Kindred, Forde and Sally Jenkins are universally admired here.

Simmons has his fans here, as well, no two ways. But he overplays his hand, practically begging to get slapped . . . and some folks are going to oblige him.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I completely disagree with Kindred being in that list. I've seen several people call him out on here.

I have no beef with him...but "universally admired" might be a stretch.

Draft saved Draft deleted