1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High school writer/Indianapolis Star

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by koolbreeze, Apr 17, 2008.

1. koolbreeze

koolbreeze Member

From the Poynter Career Center:

Position: Sportswriter to report on high school sports in metro Indianapolis and Central Indiana for online and print.

Reports to: Assistant sports editor/high schools

Job duties: Strong internet emphasis on breaking news, blogging, producing videos, podcasts and other digital enhancements for web site. Priority for print on enterprise, news/coverage and features.

Requirements: College degree, five years professional or previous metro newspaper experience, ability to write on deadline, juggle multiple stories simultaneously, good people skills required for dealing with athletes, coaches, administrators and sports editors/copy editors.

What to do: If interested in this position, please contact Senior Editor/Sports Jim Lefko by email at jim.lefko@indystar.com, by phone at (317) 444-6352 or by mail to The Indianapolis Star, P.O. Box 145,
    Indianapolis, IN 46206-0145.

2. jps

jps Active Member

Must've filled that opening they had here earlier (ASE, wasn't it?) internally leaving this opening? Or is this another departure?

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Also at the Star...Mark Montieth, longtime NBA writer, left this week. Anyone know anything about that?

4. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

How does Gannett treat the Star? Typical meddling Gannett stuff, or do the folks there get a little longer leash?

5. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Just for the record, be extra careful on the resumes here...applicants without college degrees would be well advised to say so up front, as the Star is apparently surprisingly thorough in its background checks.

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Well, the Star's as small as you can get in your hands these days... I think they switched to the Berliner format or a very small page width.

Other than that, I can't complain. I follow the Star all the time for Colts coverage, and they seem to be on top of their game.

7. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

The writer who blew his job at the Star a few years ago was outed by a third party. I imagine the Star does check these days to see if candidates graduated. But if you don't put B.A. or whatever after the name of the school on your resume, you won't have a problem.

8. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

P.S. The Star does a nice job, but I do wonder if the recent departure signals yet more cost-cutting.

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Unless they're hiring cheaply, I doubt it. There are three positions listed on Poynter -- two news, one sports -- and all three are pretty decent gigs. The irony is I haven't heard Gannett say we're whacking jobs left and right like might have happened in the old days. That could change, of course.

10. eek!gannett!

eek!gannett! Guest

gannett did a lot of their whacking last year.

11. wannabeu

wannabeu Member

How much would this job pay?

12. turnovers

turnovers Member

I'd say Gannett, that market, probably around 35k.

Draft saved Draft deleted