1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

10 Most Annoying Things People Do on the Golf Course.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Apr 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/21/sports/golf/21pennington.html

My dad taught me how to golf when I was about ten or so but I swear he spent more time on teaching me golf etiquette. His philosophy was, "Hit your shot and walk. Hit your shot and walk".

Besides cheaters and cellphone users (mercifully their use is banned from a lot of private clubs), the #1 thing that drives me crazy are people who mark the scorecards on the green.

There are about 130 comments on this article. Some goodies too.

If you're a golfer, what's your #1 peeve?

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I'm no great golfer -- I've been playing about 5 years and average about 100. But my friends who taught me to play were very big on etiquette.

My biggest pet peeves deal with speed of play -- the foursome who watch each player hit their shot before going to the next one's ball, the twosome in the cart who doesn't split up when they are on different parts of the hole and especially the people who don't leave the area around the green quickly when there is a group waiting to play.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Not play ready-golf.
    Or repair balkmarks on the green.

4. Overrated

Overrated Guest

JR, my Dad did the exact same thing regarding etiquette. "Hit your shot and walk" just sent me back several years. Thanks. I haven't read the article yet, but etiquette seems like a thing of the past. I'm not a great golfer, but I've always been welcome to play with good players because of my Dad's insistance of playing the right way.

How about the four-some who won't wait around on the next tee box to let a single guy play through? Fuck that four-some.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Cellulite on the Budweiser gals

6. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

When it is cart path only and the douchebag marches across the fairway with one club then realizes he needs a different club.

7. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Inadvertently stab one of their partners after smashing a club against a tree.

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

1 Slow play
    2 Using the cell phone
    3 Giving unsolicited swing advice
    4 Slow play
    5 Not fixing ball marks
    6 Not raking bunkers
    7 Slow play
    8 Reading putts from three or four angles
    9 Cheating
    10 Did I mention slow play?

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

My dad & I always walked and usually carried.

He'd give me shit if I left my bag on the side of the green AWAY from the next tee.

Or when I held the flag, was standing on the side so I'd cast a shadow over his line.

10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

What about the people who sneak onto a golf course at night, have sex on the green and then leave the used condom in the cup or on the flag pole?

11. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Wow, man. If I didn't know my Dad so well, I'd say we're half-brothers.

I also wasn't allowed to make more than one practice swing.

12. Beach_Bum

Beach_Bum Member

1) People who quote lines from or do impersonations from Caddyshack.
    2) Ditto from Tin Cup.
    3) Or Happy Gilmore.

Godawful annoying. Stopped being funny about the third time.

And someone should beat the crap out of the next Mr. "Get in the Hole!" asshole who screams that on a drive off a 500-yard Par 5. Just beat his ass right there on national TV as a warning to all the other "Get in the Hole" assholes out there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.