1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Design thread .... v.2

Discussion in 'Design Discussion' started by carrie, Apr 22, 2007.

1. You know, I never did HATE running a column along side the flag, but I only like it as a single column instead of the column and a half as shown above, and the story has to be of some importance, like a columnist. That's prime space in the flag area, and the face of the sports page is about the only thing I want sharing space with the name. For a weekly, though, it's not too bad. I also agree with the ragged right comments as well. If you have issues with shorter columns and bad breaks because of it, you can always go to a five-column grid t widen the columns a bit more. Not a bad effort, though

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

One thing I did like on that page ... I don't know how much it really means, but I've always preferred it ... your art seems to flow toward the middle of the page. It just seems a more comfortable flow.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

everything flows to the middle with shottie ... and not just layout.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

GDI, IM.

5. I'll throw one out there. Here's one I did a while back.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I can't see it very well, since Webby changed the max pic size, but it like it for its simplicity and use of white space. However, the player cutout needs a shadow at his feet. He looks like he's just floating in midair.

I still hate your paper's impact font, though. No offense. I also hate your paper's style of centering sidesaddle cutlines.

7. Believe me, there are plenty of things I hate about my paper's approach to design. You should see the news pages.

By "impact font" you mean the "HIS TIME" font? If you're talking about the cutline on the bottom right, it's flush left.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Yes, HIS TIME. I meant the tactic of centering it between the top and bottom. It should go from the top down.

9. Oh, gotcha. I'll keep that in mind.

10. While on the topic of things we hate, I hate headlines where every word is capitalized. Maybe for the name of a band or a song, but not a headline.

Overall, though, I really like the page, pbr07. Good use of white space and I like the centerpiece. Just to pick nits, here are a few others things:

- Not a big fan of italicized subheads (not a big fan of italicized anything ... it looks bush league)
    - Not a big fan of using the word "kickers" to describe soccer players
    - Not sure I like the pull quote above the photo in the Red Sox story. I think it would work better with the photo going flush with the headline and the pull quote in the body of the story.

But like I said, that's just nitpicking. Overall I really like it.

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I do all caps for centerpieces at least once a week. Different strokes, I suppose.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I could be wrong, but I think he meant.....Podunk High Scores Upset Against Other Team
    I think you're talking about.......CP HEADLINE IS IN ALL CAPS

The WaPo comes to mind when I think of capping every word in the headline. Not a big fan.

Draft saved Draft deleted