1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reporter's final column

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Apr 16, 2008.

1. People complain about their jobs. Everyone from the gas station attendant to Warren Buffet.

For some reason, some military people take it as a direct insult to them every time someone does so. It smacks of insecurity.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Now, THAT'S sensible, Lester. I agree completely with you that the public is totally clueless when it comes to our jobs. Shit, they think the reporters put their own headlines on stories.

Considering the reception received by some of those who put their lives on the line for our freedom, maybe insecurity is a valid feeling.

I'm sure you lived through the reception received by Vietnam veterans when they returned ... right?

3. And me getting out doesn't make me a lesser person than you or a whiner or unable to tough out the job.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Well, now it sounds like you're flashing a little bit of the big I.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

wow. i didn't realize so many people would become so freakin' tense due to such a minor "issue."

chilax.

6. floridasun

floridasun Member

What would you guess would be the percentage of your newsroom that you could confidently say is unhappy at their job?

For the papers I've worked at (and I no longer work at one):

Last gig in Florida: 75-80 (It was/is a truly miserable place to work, for one reason or another)

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

My recent knee problems have prevented me from following that career path. If I tried a roundhouse kick now, my lower leg could probably fall off.

9. Sawker

Sawker New Member

First, a couple comments about your post -

1) What gets tiring to me is all the negativity surrounding this profession. If you don't like it, move on. There are other options. Lots of them, in fact.

2) When did I ask for a pat on the back? I didn't. I simply stated that I've experienced much worse than the occasional accusation of bias. I fully believe nearly everyone else in the world has, in their own way.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The guy in the column was clearly bitching about something far more trivial than what I mentioned...why are you not bitching about that?

I agree that there are other honorable professions. In fact, I believe most professions are honorable -- including journalism. I suppose that's where we differ.

You know, I didn't sit around bitching about how bad my time in the military was on my last day wearing the uniform. The military wasn't for me, but when my time was up, I graciously walked out the door, telling anyone within earshot that it was a pleasure serving with them and that we should keep in touch.

I believe the day may soon come when I walk away from journalism. When that day comes, I hope to move on with class.

There is a time and place for expressing the views this blogger/ex-reporter laid out in his column. Your last day in the profession ain't it. Seriously, why the hell should his readers or the journalism industry give a damn what he thinks, when he has no vested interest in the matter.

If the guy had true convictions, and real balls, he would have submitted this column long before his last night on the payroll. As it stands, it was a cowardly move that would cause hiring managers in all professions to think long and hard before giving this guy his next meal ticket. If anything, the guy should be thanking his editor for spiking it.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

There's the difference. He walks out the door shaking everyone's hand. This brat steals the waste cans.

And don't tell me that was all for comedic effect. If it was, it did not work.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

That was not funny, it was pathetic.
    The clown is nothing but a sad, whiny little bitch.

12. Sawker

Sawker New Member

During my first year in the military I faced NJP (nonjudicial punishment) three times. The third time I finally snapped, telling the Commanding Officer that I was sick and tired of all the bullshit associated with wearing the uniform, and that I wanted out.

He said he understood why I was frustrated, because he felt much the same way about things. The problem with me, he said, was that I didn't know how to choose my battles and that I had no sense of tact.

He offered to let me out with an adsep. (would have been like I was never there), but that he wanted me to take some time to think about what he said and determine if getting out this way was what I really wanted.

Four years later, I was honorably discharged and had $50,000 tax free to spend on college. What I discovered during that time was that life was so much more enjoyable when I figured out how to get what I wanted out of less-than-perfect situations.

The military was still the military, but I didn't let the BS get to me, because I was using them as much as they were using me. That's my advice for anyone miserable with being in the journalism business.

There are so many benefits to being in this business it isn't even funny. From making connections to becoming a quasi-celebrity. If you can't parlay your journalism experience into another job and profession, it's probably because nobody likes you. In which case, you should definitely stick with journalism -- it's your calling. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted