1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiger out for 4-6 weeks

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Apr 15, 2008.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

So did 4-6 tournaments.

2. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

There you have it, the alpha and omega of Tiger's 2008 Masters.

The knee mattered hardly a whit, although as Novelist said, walking the hills of Augusta five days probably didn't help.

And can we please back off of Doug Ferguson for doing his job? Any of you in his position would do the same thing. ::) If you wouldn't, you're lying to yourself.

3. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Not quite. Try 2-3.

The only tournaments Tiger would play between now and the U.S. Open are Wachovia (May 1-4), the Players (May 8-11) and the Memorial (May 29-June 1).

4. What the Hell?
    I asked a question and now I'm all over Ferguson and need to lay off (See Armchair QB)?
    Yes, the guy does a great job. But 27 inches (IMO) is a lot for that type of story.
    Jesus Christ, I'm not picking on him. Just raising a question.
    Yeah, there is thorough and then there is 27 inches on a knee surgery that will sideline the guy for 2 or 3 tourneys, none of which are majors.

- 30 -

5. butch

butch Member

To me the real question here, at least for this board, is how the hell Tiger could be in such "pain" as he calls it, to the point he needed knee surgery TWO DAYS AFTER THE MASTERS, AND NO ONE KNOW ABOUT IT? The man just was exposed for I don't know how many hours on worldwide TV, walking miles on one of the hilliest courses on Tour, and there were no signs of limping, pain, etc.
    I just was shocked when I heard about this today, and that it came from his own Web site after the surgery and not a reporter. Something just seems odd about how it all went down without anyone catching wind of it beforehand.
    Maybe I'm making too much out of it, but does anyone else think this is a little black eye for the beat reporters? I mean, this came out of nowhere as far as I know. Or is it just Tiger, the star that he is, being able to keep something this major out of the media because of how guarded his access is?

6. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Yes, you're making too much out of this. Let's make a list of those who would know about this: his wife, his baby, his mother, his agent, his caddie, his doctor.

There's no sign he limped around Augusta at any time, which gives no reporter the need to inquire about his physical condition.

7. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Except that he didn't win by 12 strokes. That should've tipped somebody off.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Does it really matter? AP copy gets cut to hell anyway.

I'm sure a larger percentage of the 27-inch Tiger story made it into newspapers than did the 20-inch optional from the Trail Blazers-Grizzlies game.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I hate Tiger. I root for him to lose every tournament he's in...

But do I watch about five times as much golf now as I did before he started playing? Absolutely...

He's the greatest thing to ever happen to the game.

10. Why?
    I am genuinely interested.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Mizzou, did you root for Jordan to miss?

You may like the underdog, but I want to see greatness.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Sometimes I rooted for Jordan to miss. Greatness is one thing, but not being able to get within 3 feet of him without a foul being called became too much to stomach after a while.

Draft saved Draft deleted