1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Design thread .... v.2

Discussion in 'Design Discussion' started by carrie, Apr 22, 2007.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Is there a good application for doing that on a Mac?

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Photoshop.

3. forever_town

What about for those of us loosers who don't have Photoshop on their home compys and don't want can't afford to pay for it?

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Do you have it at work?

5. forever_town

Not on my computer personally, but I could probably get onto it when the graphics designer is putting on his ad rep hat and going out to met people.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

That would be what I suggest then. It's the only method I know of to convert PDFs to JPGs.

7. Doctor Jones

Doctor Jones Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Thanks for sharing, Doc. I like some of it and don't like other parts of it. For starters, do you always run stories and photos up above the flag like that? Not sure I care for that. While I'm on the subject, not sure I like having all your stories ragged right -- that's usually reserved for commentary -- but it may not be your decision. The flag thing may not be your decision either.

I think overall I like the design. It's very clean and I like the way you've teased some of the stuff inside. My first thought is that's a pretty ordinary photo to run that big. What's that, four columns by 10 inches? That's pretty huge for a standard photo of a kid swinging at a pitch. And judging by the lack of fans sitting in the bleachers behind the hitter, was this game important enough to warrant such a blowout? I'm all for dominant art, but it leaves me scratching my head a little bit.

9. forever_town

If it were your decision, I'd ditch the Herbert Hoover story to bring the photo down below the flag. That, plus I don't like having the reefer box between stories.

I don't know. My gut reaction was that I really liked the page, but Bob's comments ring really true for me. If the guy swinging connected for a dramatic home run, I'd definitely have that be the dominant photo.

10. Doctor Jones

Doctor Jones Member

OK... thanks for your input... and the story above the flag is a one time thing... do it a few times, not everytime and my decision and i felt it worked... maybe, maybe not... all ragged right copy is our papers' style, as well... we're on an 11-inch width web, and there's a lot of gaps in our copy, cause our body copy is pretty large, so we go with the ragged right to get rid of the spacing...

to differentiate between columns and regular stories we use drop caps... and of course a mug shot and differe nt headline style...

also, i'm at a weekly that has three schools... the school blowed out is state runner up last year and one of the favorites to win this year... so that's my reason for blowing it up.. did the photo probably deserve as big as play as it got? but no..

and for the other poster who asked about the refer boxes "floating" between the two stories... i like that b/c you have the space to get multiple blowouts of different stories inside... i usually don't like putting half column refers in stories cause it looks odd to me, but that's my personal style...

and i think on the top right story it gives the photo and story good play... where you're not just looking at the CP, you get the story on the right too... but thanks for your opinions...

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

mr. jones. i'm a one-suggestion-at-a-time kind of person when it comes to this. it seems as though that's the only approach that sticks in a person's mind.

my one question for you is: (upper story, right rail) what good is the fourth deck of the hed? (and remind me to ask you about bad/good breaks one day.)

Draft saved Draft deleted