1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, The Robesonian (Lumberton, N.C.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Tarheel316, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Editude

Editude Active Member

Saying that most of the staffers going through the department "were young and didn't have a clue" doesn't speak well to the hiring process nor to any on-the-job instruction.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

It's a small daily not near any prime coverage opportunities. How many f'in studs should they get? I don't blame him for wanting to take raw people, teach them up and have them move on. It's the best option for him, frankly. I'd rather have young, green and willing to learn at a paper that size than 50-something burnouts so set in their ways that they're unwilling to listen or change.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

thank you, moddy. (and please note the lack of blue font.)

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

You are welcome (and I couldn't do blue font if I wanted which I don't).

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

suck it up, soldier. this is the jobs board. ;)

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Hey - you quoted a post!

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

some hardass taught me how.

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Doc, I see what you're saying and it makes sense. This is a job for a young kid wanting to learn. But the issue with this guy is how he handles people.

9. Pi

Pi Member

I can't understand the mindset of this editor, because posting a lengthy defense letter to some snarky comments throws up a giant red flag to me.
    On a serious note, it doesn't say in the ad how involved the SE is with the web site -- a blog, posting breaking news, planning multimedia, stuff like that. I find it eats up more of my time than actually running a print section. It might be a small paper, but it's friggin 2008!

10. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Buck, exactly. Whatever he thought he was trying to accomplish by that post was negated by the tone. Thank goodness I don't work for somebody like that.

11. Metin Eniste

Metin Eniste Member

Young journalists must often make sacrifices; God knows I did. You'll work shitty hours for low wages. Maybe you'll live in an armpit like Lumberton. You might have a bad boss. Just don't accept all of the above. Life - especially one's youth - is too short.

I've read many of Douglas' comments elsewhere. If the choice were between this job and getting out of journalism forever, I'd find a different career without hesitation.

12. Khary McGhee

Khary McGhee New Member

Donnie wanted to answer the question about the sports editor's responsibility in regard to the Web site:

I have been following along and I will answer the question about the Web. We have in recent months upgraded our Web site, which I invite anyone to visit at robesonian.com
    However, the sports editor's involvement is fairly minimal. They post the stories, which takes 5 to 10 minutes a day. However, whoever the new sports editor is would be able to delegate that responsibility and enhance the sports coverage on the site as his time allows and desire dictates.
    We have tried to be more timely with breaking news, but those opportunities are more frequent with news than sports. Sports will be asked to post scores of football games before going home on Friday nights as one example.

Draft saved Draft deleted