1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SNY.tv feature writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Wile E. Coyote, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Wile E. Coyote

Wile E. Coyote New Member

2. BKuty

BKuty Guest

Seems like it's a full-time gig, since the requirements call for 5-7 stories per week. And my gas milage sucks. Anybody want a sexy 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo?

3. It's called a subway. Use it for assignments in the city and then you just have to worry about driving to LI and CT.

4. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

Shit, I think we forgot NY got those. I am in LA and they still don't know how to run the normal bus lines.

5. It's not a full-time gig, it's freelance. There are no benefits and you are unable to expense anything -- be prepared to spend a lot of your own money. Also be prepared to compromise your ethics on a weekly basis. The administration cares very little about journalism at this place.

You'll probably end up doing a ton of Mets and SNY fluff pieces. Furthermore, don't expect to have competent copy editors. Actually, expect that aspect of the job to be nearly non-existent.

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I've heard the same thoughts expressed from others who have worked for SNY. I think it is worth noting that SNY has a business relationship with MLB.com, so you're probably not going to get much of chance to write stories about Kirk Radomski and the Mets of the mid-to-late 1990s.

7. You can just write off your expenses come tax season.

8. fleishman

fleishman Active Member

cub reporter nailed it. i'd stay away.

9. OceanLottery

OceanLottery Member

The cub is right. I run into a lot of guys at events who work for weeklies and string for SNY as a second part-time gig and most haven't been wholly thrilled with the entire SNY experience. They get guys to cover HS events, like the city championships in football and basketball, but bury the coverage on the site.

10. hitemhard31

hitemhard31 New Member

Couldn't agree more. The place is a joke. Forget expenses or having any of your stuff read. Throw integrity and your journalistic ideals out the window. If you don't care about your work, this is the job for you. If you don't take pride in what you do, apply. But if what you do matters, pass.

11. Just a bump. Anybody hear anything? It's almost a month old and, from what I understand, they haven't even started the interview process. Job is definitely freelance/contract but, again, there doesn't appear to be any movement. Then again, they could have hired somebody since my extent of 'being in the loop' is nowhere near as extensive as Moddy :)

12. pmartin25

pmartin25 Guest

I got a call from these guys yesterday. The guy I talked to was kind of gauging my interest in being an online producer for them (part time 32-40 hrs. per week at $20 per), not sure what is going on with the features writer position, he didn't seem to want to talk about that ...

Draft saved Draft deleted