1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alou vindicates Bartman: "I wouldn't have caught it anyway."

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Write-brained, Apr 1, 2008.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Some people have pictures of their families and friends in their photo albums. LJB has angle after angle from controversial sports plays.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Aw, it wouldn't have mattered if Alex Gonzalez had turned that routine grounder into a double play. Hell, if he had gotten one out, the Marlins wouldn't have gone ahead on a sacrifice fly and the inning would have ended with the teams tied.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yep. And Dusty would have brought Dave Veres or Mark Guthrie in to hand the game to Florida anyway.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Tony Tarasco would have had the Maier ball.

Alou would not have had the Bartman ball.

5. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

[​IMG]

6. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

It's like looking at frame by frame shots of the Zapruder film ...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

"All your life has been spent in pursuit of archaeological relics. Inside the Ark are treasures beyond your wildest aspirations. You want to see it opened as well as I.

"Indiana, we are simply passing through history. This, this /is/ history."

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Awesome set of quotes, LJB.

The loss wasn't Bartman's fault.

But yeah, every replay indicates Alou had a much better than average shot at catching that ball.

EDIT: That video is crazy. Poor little dorkus still has his headphones on, maybe listening to the Cubs' announcers lamenting the rest of the inning.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

It is interesting that, just like in the Maier photo, there are other people next to and behind Bartman reaching for the ball as well.

10. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Just saw the video. I don't know how anyone could watch it and come to the conclusion that Alou had no chance at the ball.

11. markvid

markvid Guest

Alou is doing the decent thing here.

12. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I disagree. Too little, too late. Where was Alou the last five seasons? Why wait until now if he truly believes what he's saying? I'm not saying it's classless or anything. I'm just saying it's moot at this point.

Also, Steak, that's been my argument the entire time. Who the hell wouldn't have reached for that ball?

EDIT: Reflects it's been five years, not three as I originally posted. Christ, that just proves my point more.

Draft saved Draft deleted