1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Plot By *Third Graders* To Harm Teacher Foiled

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Apr 1, 2008.

1. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

This is unbelievable:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/nationworld/sns-ap-childrens-plot,0,5955071.story

I'm curious to hear opinions to this. Personally, the kids' being too young to do anything about it (from what I read) is disturbing.

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Are you faster than a third grader?

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Two thoughts:

1. If she teaches kids with disabilities, they may be older than your typical third graders.

2. The teacher must be doing something right. Look how she got the kids to work together!

4. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Kids can be so cruel.

5. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

I can't believe I laughed at that. I'm such a bad person.
    Really ... my journey down the wrong path started in third grade ... there was this teacher ...

6. SigR

SigR Member

This sounds like the old internet debate: How many 9 year olds would it take to kill a grizzly bear?

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

In fifth grade we had a long-term substitute teacher who went against the unwritten rule that kids should get to have their way with substitute teachers. After school, several of us ambushed him outside the "portable" classroom, which was one of four or five double-wide trailers on blocks. I was suspended for two weeks.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Well, the story seems to suggest that LDs were actually behavioral disorders. ADHD, etc. At 9 and 10, those can be some nasty little kids.

I expect more of this, frankly.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sounds like the guy was asking for it. You got jobbed, Cranny.

As to "portables" -- it was rare luxury from seventh grade on if I was in a room with brick walls.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

It was only snowballs, by the way -- no rocks, bottles, nunchucks or ninja stars.

And portable classrooms are one of the things that unite baby boomers. Ours were placed on a vacant lot that had served as a neighborhood ball field for decades. I never had a grammar school class with fewer than 30 kids.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

In my district we have a two separate buildings for students who just cannot function with another group of students. We basically think they are a danger to others around them. They are in something called "XXXXX Academy." It seems the nicer the name, the crappier the kids.

We have one for high school and one for middle school. We will probably have one for elementary someday. Some of these children would be placed there.

I know of one child in my district who has organized a theft ring (basic breaking and entering) who is in an elementary school. They ride on bikes to do their crimes. This student does not live in a bad area as well. In fact, Joe Gibbs once lived in this elementary school's attendance zone.

This district seems to be doing everything by the letter.

I think Orlando has high schools that are nothing but a few hundred trailers on a few acres of land. Sad.

12. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I don't think Orlando has a higher percentage of portables than anywhere else.

I think when I was in third grade my biggest worry was what kind of cookies would be waiting for me when I got home. And I was hungry when I got there; I had to walk eight miles from school, all uphill . . .

Draft saved Draft deleted